• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR vs GTI mkV

I had a 2ltr gti before the ctr,i found it heavy and slowish and i got embarrased a few times if you know what i mean :wink:

I think the 0-60 for the latest golf GTI is 7.3 seconds and slightly faster if it has the DSG gearbox.The CTR is 6.4 seconds so theres your answer :D

In what sence faster? The CTR looses value faster, goes round tracks faster, accelerates faster, stops faster, attracts chavs faster etc etc.

MilanoChris said:
In what sence faster? The CTR looses value faster, goes round tracks faster, accelerates faster, stops faster, attracts chavs faster etc etc.

:lol:

what it is ive a mate who insisted that he has shown every CTR a clean pair of heals on every private road round here :shock: ,personally i thing he talks out a hole in his ass :oops: just to see if anyone has came up against one at trackdays 1/4 mile and the like :wink:

I went up against one at motorway speeds when I only had a cat back exhaust on my CTR. 60>130 CTR walks it. I ended up slowing down just to check he was trying, unfortunately for Golf fans, he was. Once rolling power/weight ratio becomes mighty important. The CTR's straightline speed is one of it's strongest points, not many hot hatches can live with it's 16.2 > 100mph time.

Different attitude cars... On track i want a CTR on the road for my 40k miles a year ill take the Golf every time. Why is the ST so popular? Because its a better compromise between the 2 8)

SOates82 said:
Different attitude cars... On track i want a CTR on the road for my 40k miles a year ill take the Golf every time. Why is the ST so popular? Because its a better compromise between the 2 8)

Which is exactly what Tiff Needell said about the CTR when comparing it to the Focus RS and Seat nLeon CUpra all those years ago :wink:

There's a video of it somewhere.

Both cars are completely different animals.

Ones a 2litre N/A and costs 16000

The others a 2litre turbo that costs in excess of 20000

The GTI should see of the ctr but in reality thats not quite the case :D

CTR is faster, has better brakes, more hardcore suspension.

Golf has better steering and more easily accessible performance on a day to day basis (i.e. on the motorway, not having to change down etc) and is more comfortable.

Both are good cars but in completely different ways

This is an interesting thread as my mate has just bought a mkv gti. He reckons he will beat me (both cars are standard). My opinion is the ctr should out perform based on bhp/tonne. Although he is going to get it chipped soon, so I think then it will be a different story.

Nick

Chipped GTi's usually run around 240.

My last dyno was 237 and a CTR weighs about 200kg less. I'd give him a run for his money.

only 1 thing i would argue with is the brakes comment... MK5 has really good brakes and the CTRS melt after 5mins of hard use :p

Back