• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CW UKDM DC2 - First Type-R

Evening all, thought i'd do an update as i've had a go at the rust situation this weekend.

Stripped the rear yesterday morning, finding some light surface rust on the boot floor, a bit worse in the rear quarter of the boot above the arch mind.
COfdO5Fl.jpg

tF6hNMPl.jpg

The drivers side sill was as bad as expected
GBRC4ekl.jpg

And the offside sill wasn't as bad as i thought, only slight thing to be pleased about
ebWREull.jpg

First off i got as much rust and dirt off as possible, used a wire drill bit that I've seen people recommend for this job. After that was done and all hoovered up, i applied Hammerite Rust Remover Gel applying 4 coats of it, in all effected areas waiting 20 minutes between each. Then left it overnight. This was the state i found it in this morning
B0DTC1yl.jpg

7fYZKAql.jpg

3l1qTk0l.jpg

(did more on this part but didn't get a picture)
SdwuVBrl.jpg

(only used a bit of anti-rust on the middle part where the spare wheel goes as the rest wasn't bad)

Next was cleaning it all up and letting it dry
mpMukwSl.jpg

J0OTzxxl.jpg

414JjP5l.jpg

There was clearly some deeper, more stubborn rust left so went at it again with the wire drill bit to see if i could get anymore off. After that was done and cleaned/dry again, it was waxoyl time. I'd sealed up the slit letting water in a few weeks ago which seems to still be holding :)
gT4BGIPl.jpg

eTLjbWdm.jpg

7mmx0w8l.jpg

KD3tanIl.jpg

The boot has dried nicely and the sills are getting there.

All in all, I'm really pleased i took the plunge and went at it. I knew the arches were an issue on DC2's even before owning one, so i knew the second i got one I'd need to do this at some point. Just glad I've done it now rather than leaving it any longer. I didn't manage to completely get rid of it completely, but happy with the work I've done and that she's all sealed up now.

Comments on a poor job are welcome :)

Fair play thats some effort to go to to reduce your rust problem. Thing with rust is unless you cut out and replace the parts that's it's gotten into you'll never fully fix it, anything you do will only be a slow down job. Some effort though lad hard graft fair play to you.

Looks like a good job,my car was done with red oxide and then wax oil,takes alot of time and effort but hopefully will stop your arches getting any worse

Small update;

-US Amber indicator lenses
-Fitted a new clutch slave and master cylinder
-Got rid of the front plate holder
-Put on an import style rear plate (understandably not to everyone's taste!)
-Sprayed my rear tie bar milano red
-Changed the interior lights to red LED's
-Gave the rear a good t-cut to clean up the marks where the Honda badge used to be

On top of that she got a nice polish!

zHjUyxfl.jpg

z3OxUcgl.jpg

vQINcorl.jpg

W1EHOBol.jpg

Also met up with my mates for a couple snaps
Night Shot by Tom Gooderham Photography, on Flickr
Squad by Tom Gooderham Photography, on Flickr

Thought i'd update this as it's been a month or two and I've done some things to the car;

- Got a Skunk2 Mega Power catback on this week. Tried fitting with a mate from work but the old midpipe was so rotten we didn't stand much of a chance drilling out the old fixings from under the car on axlestands
- Tegiwa Powerchamber 'Whale Penis' intake, got a small heatshield for it and plan on setting up a cold air feed when i can get the old airbox resonator pipe out of the bay
- painted rear calipers
- new plate on front (again)
- back to a UK style plate on the back
- new front H badge
- cleaned up the manifold a bit

Happy with how she looks and sounds now. Sounds a lot better than when i got her, it may be the placebo effect from the extra noise but i do feel it pulls harder in VTEC than before.

Now for the pictures!

kW2t5bkl.jpg

jQ2MaFil.jpg

UOTrtUzl.jpg

NVDm7H0.jpg

IZPj6Gy.jpg

DrMsFx5.jpg

VyxaUVzl.jpg

myVmzyg.jpg

And then just a couple pictures i took when out the other week (before the new plates and exhaust went on) and one from Mimms
r7D2lVm.jpg

XJAq2bW.jpg

17043464725_dca280c3d9_b.jpg

UKDM vs JDM!

(Apologies for the different sized pictures. Some taken with my SLR and some with iPhone)
Thanks for reading,
Tom

Nice looking dc2 you got there. I saw it at mimms:) always had a soft spot for dc2's . I'm saving up for a skunk 2 mega power for my ep3.

Thanks Ricki :)

Yeah i think the skunk mega power is great. Looked well built, fits well and sounds great! Very deep and loud at low revs up to about 4.5k, it's a bit hard to hear over my intake at VTEC but you can definitely hear a strong note coming from the back compared to stock. Waiting for one of my mates to film me flying past him, want to know just how she sounds now!

Bit of an update;
Got a Tegiwa 2" adjustable decat fitted about 2 months ago, completely changed the exhaust note. It used to just be deep, but now its throaty and more aggressive. Crossover is even more prominent now :twisted: The deep exhaust note resonating through the car has stopped a lot too, still a little bit but not much, very pleased about that

Also, finally upgraded (if you'd agree) the suspension setup, with MeisterR Zeta-S's. The drop is about 33mm front and 37mm back which is great, but i'm going to raise the rear up about 10mm to even out the arch gap as the rear is still a bit lower than the front (like it was before). Also the resonator in the b-pipe hangs low on the Skunk2 catback i've got, so i'm scraping over certain speed bumps and mounds in the road which is frustrating. So hopefully in raising the rear, that should give me a bit more clearance. Plus i'm not really about that slammed car life so i want to sort that. Function > Form

Apart from that, the coilovers seem great! Sweet ride quality, not harsh in my opinion when on reasonable damping settings. Now to figure out the right setup for my driving style, between comfort and performance. I did turn them up to the stiffest settings for a quick blast the other day, dear lord it was fun! Absolute Go Kart :D

Before and After
BgAt6ZSl.jpg

19803865704_b1cb7c0512_c.jpg

20403856551_ae17e07743_c.jpg

20211052859_2bba9d08d9_c.jpg

20209688728_84e3bf9ca0_c.jpg

As you can see the rear looks great, i'd just rather have a bit higher for convenience, looks and possibly performance reasons.

Thanks for reading!

Well it's been a few months so thought i'd update, even though nothing major has happened;

-Was in at Honda this week;
Service, valve clearances checked/adjusted and abs sensor fitted. One bill and stamp in the service book later, and she's done for another year/8k miles or so.
(Nice to have ABS back in time for winter, mind! :) )

-MeisterR's have been on for 3000 miles and I'm impressed. Got nothing to compare it to other than being in other peoples sporty cars like M5/MCS/DC5/Z4's etc, but the ride quality and adjustability is awesome. Usually have it on 24fr 22r, but that was in summer/autumn when i'm bound to go out for a burn every few days. Now it's winter they're down to 6fr 2r. So comfortable haha! Even on these settings there isn't too much body roll, just not as responsive or sharp.

-Rear has been raised 6mm or so as was too low for my liking and had some negative rake as can be seen on the last posted pics.

-Also got a refurbed rocker cover put on at the same time as the service, along with a new full gasket set for the cover. As well as a few other bits to tidy up the bay (not bae).
(Shout out to Paul at Spooner Restorations for great customer service and product, well impressed!)

-Fresh AD08R's on the front at the start of the month after the Michelin PS3's were on the way out. Lasted 9k miles. Great all weather tyre, but gave up sometimes in the dry when pushed. If the AD08's on the back are anything to go by, the AD08R's should outperform the PS3's in the dry. They aren't exactly confidence inspiring in the wet though :?

-Finally sorted out a makeshift cold air feed for the short ram intake, not perfect but it's something. Standard flexi-piping from the front grille up to the filter. It'll do for now anyway, attempting to make an enclosed airbox for the end of the intake as part of a project at college. If not, i'm thinking of mugen or OEM airbox next year sometime.

-UKDM indicator lenses back in, liking the OEM UK look again, though I'm sure the amber's will be back in sometime next year maybe.

Past that, I'm just trying to keep her clean and well maintained.

Now, picture time
22844073469_b8b920ec0a_c.jpg

22817886737_dcc2281f9f_c.jpg

22916226130_e2fb914267_c.jpg

Then
23402091685_d59fc5e791_c.jpg

22773723114_d449695d20_c.jpg

Now
23288736162_8a1675beb3_c.jpg

23101418490_18511ed7b4_c.jpg

Cold air feed
23319498761_53d71d3c7b_c.jpg

23402479835_6f4bacf06f_c.jpg

I have since taken off the heatshield in this picture. No real reason, just didn't want it on anymore

Thanks for reading
Tom

Back