• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

D.I.Y Paint Correction

TypeGRRR

Administrator
Administrator
So today I got brave with the paint on my CR-X. The upper part of my N/S wing and door had been resprayed badly at some point of it's life, the colour match was good but suffered badly from orange peel.

With a bit of 1500 grit, a soapy bucket of water, some Farcela G3/Autoglym SRP and a Argos buffing machine, I set to it. :p

Nasty orange peel
crx_orange_peel_1.jpg

The wing partially sanded
crx_orange_peel_2.jpg

The wing sanded. :eek:
crx_orange_peel_3.jpg

The wing machine buffed
crx_orange_peel_4.jpg

The door partially sanded
crx_orange_peel_5.jpg

The door sanded
crx_orange_peel_6.jpg

Sanded
crx_orange_peel_7.jpg

First pass with buffer (G3)
crx_orange_peel_8.jpg

Second pass with buffer (G3)
crx_orange_peel_9.jpg

Final buff with Autogylm SRP
crx_orange_peel_10.jpg

crx_orange_peel_11.jpg

crx_orange_peel_12.jpg

I'm very happy, but it could of went very wrong, as I've not really got any experience with this sort of thing. :eek:

**** me what a difference, I'd love to be able to do this, how did you learn what to do? How much did the set up cost?

**** me what a difference, I'd love to be able to do this, how did you learn what to do? How much did the set up cost?

I've learnt by trial and error, this was my first trial, luckily I didn't make an error. :lol: I'm no professional, but have always taken an interest in car care. This 'setup' is very low cost, well under £50. ;)

Thats amazing Chris, it looks new.

Are there any other bits on the car that need it doing?

All for £50 too, nice.

Can you give me a link to the items you bought mate?

My mate is selling his 1992 106 and the paint is er..terrible to say the least, he said I could experiment on that as hes scrapping it in a few months

Are there any other bits on the car that need it doing?

Yes. :lol: Until it is made up of all new parts, I think it is a never ending list really.

I'd like another n/s door and wing, this was only a temporary measure... At some point the door has beaten the stay and folded back on the wing. There's evidence of filler at the panel gap and it's lifting slightly. The front bumper has a bit of damage and someone has cut holes, I presume to fit fog lights which are no longer there. Then there's a few scratches and car park dings but then you've got to expect that of a car that is 19 years old.

Can you give me a link to the items you bought mate?

My mate is selling his 1992 106 and the paint is er..terrible to say the least, he said I could experiment on that as hes scrapping it in a few months
You can buy everything I used in Halfords or Wilco.

• Halfords Wet & Dry Sanding Paper 1500 Grit link
• 240v Car Polisher (not the one I have but similar, I paid £15 for mine though...) link
• Autoglym Super Resin Polish link
• Farecla G3 Paste Compound link
• Microfibre Cloths link

Looking very good man! What's it like in direct sunlight?

I love wet sanding, never used as low as 1500, but people do squeem at the sound of me sanding their car :eek:

Looking very good man! What's it like in direct sunlight?

I love wet sanding, never used as low as 1500, but people do squeem at the sound of me sanding their car :eek:
To be honest is was raining on and off all day, so haven't had that opportunity yet. I have looked at it under a lamp and it looks very clear, a few traces here and there, but will proabably have another go with SRP when I can get it outside for more than 10 minutes.

What grade do you typically use then?

There's always loads of spares going on PH mate...
I've never thought about Piston heads for spares, thanks for the heads up. The only trouble with buying panels is that I'd rather go and pick them up, than to risk them with a courier, so you need to source them fairly locally...

I've never thought about Piston heads for spares, thanks for the heads up. The only trouble with buying panels is that I'd rather go and pick them up, than to risk them with a courier, so you need to source them fairly locally...

This is true, but if yours was knackered £30 is baragins.

You'd be surprised how much stuff comes up on there, always loads of OEM CRX stuff too.

This is true, but if yours was knackered £30 is baragins.

You'd be surprised how much stuff comes up on there, always loads of OEM CRX stuff too.
It's not knackered, well not anymore. ;) Can you keep an eye out for flint black passenger door, wing and front bumper for me please. :smt058 I will be looking too but in case I miss something!

Chris I would typicaly be using 2000-2500 :eek:

Comes out very easily though.
1500 is the lightest stuff I could get from halfords. I just made sure I kept the panel very wet and soaked the paper in water first. I was quite gentle with the pressure and kept drying it to keep track of my progress. :)

It's not knackered, well not anymore. ;) Can you keep an eye out for flint black passenger door, wing and front bumper for me please. :smt058 I will be looking too but in case I miss something!

Swear down there were a set of doors on there the other day, i'll have a look.

And also Mk1 items :lol:

I would love to just bolt a black door on tbh.

Back