• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Daves 1999 Honda Civic Aerodeck ("DD")

Ok, as a few have asked for pics of this, thought I'd get some posted. The FN2 is my daily (although the modding bug is too hard to resist!) but the Civic Aerodeck has been modded a fair bit, and has been on a few show stands. So a quick bit of history on the car!
It belonged to my late wife, who was also into her Hondas big time. She'd had a 5 door MB2 brand new in 1998, and at the time of picking it up, spotted an Aerodeck in the showroom. She said there and then that one day she'd own one! Fast forward 4 years and the time came! We travelled all the way down to Nottingham to buy this one, as they were quite hard to find in decent nick with low miles. She had 33.000 miles on the clock, one family owned from new (husband then wife) and was mint! Due to her disability, my wife needed it to be an auto, and this was the best we could find.

She's a 1999 1.6 ESi, so had the full leather interior, headlamp washers, air con, 6 disc changer etc. My wife grew totally attached to the car, and the modding began! First off, she wanted the front fog lights, so she took the car into Honda to have them bought and fitted (OEM) at a cost of £250!
The modding continued, with oem sunroof wind deflector (again, bought from Honda and fitted by them) then new head unit (Pioneer as she wanted to kinda keep it oem) with USB/MP3/DAB etc. Then she did the one mod she was most proud of! She'd always wanted to give a car a full one off custom leather retrim, so sent the car to Transcal UK for a full custom trim. She opted for a two-tone scheme, with ink blue and nappa black leather, and electric blue stitching. This was done on all seats, door cards and centre console. She also had the embroider the Honda "H" emblem onto the front seats. The finished result was stunning, but cost about as much as the car was worth at the time!!! She didnt care, as she said she would never ever sell the car! Next up was the rare Aerodeck mid spoiler for the tailgate, and the VTiS front lip/spoiler. Climair wind deflectors were also bought and fitted. She also wanted a stainless exhaust, so opted for a custom built Powerflow cat back system, built by RJM Performance at Glenrothyes.She'd always wanted deep dish wheels, with a particular spoke design. Spent ages trying to get the wheels she wanted (and stole mine from my MA8 Civic at the time! lol) but eventually got a set of Cades alloys in 16inch. Her perfect wheels! Sadly, she became ill, and passed away in January 2013. She never got to see the wheels fitted to the car :-( So, once I got my head together again, I decided that this car will never be sold. Instead, I'd carry on modding it for her in her memory, and turn it slowly into a show car.
So here are the photos of how she currently stands, with a full list of all mods below the photos.
Dawns_civic_aerodeck (3)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (1)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (4)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (6)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (8)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (15)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (18)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (24)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgDawns_civic_aerodeck (26)dawns_civic_aerodeck.jpgP8170025Japfest2 2014.jpgP8170022Japfest2 2014.jpg
I'll post up more photos of the interior and the engine bay when I can find them! Here's a list of what's been done!
EXTERIOR
OEM Honda sunroof deflector
Climair wind deflectors
VTiS Front lip
VTiS tailgate spoiler
OEM front fogs
OEM headlight protectors (rare)
Cades 16 inch dished alloys

INTERIOR
Full custom leather retrim in ink blue and nappa black leather with electric blue stitching. Honda "H" emblem embroidered onto front seats. All by Transcal UK
Integra TypeR DC2 MOMO steering wheel fitted (and retrimmed by Transcal UK to match interior.
Pioneer MP3/USB/DAB head unit
New oem Civic floor mats
OEM aerodeck boot floor mat
Custom stainless trim added to dash to continue the polished alloy look from exterior.
Stainless Heater control surrounds
Thatcham cat 1 alarm/immobilizer system with ultrasonic sensors etc.

MECHANICS/CHASSIS
Powerflow custom cat back stainless steel exhaust
MeisterR Zeta S fully adjustable coilover suspension (lowered approx 40mm)
Custom rocker cover in Orleans blue mica, with chromed "Honda" lettering.
Magnicor ignition leads in Blue
Anodized blue :radiator stay bracket, aircon rad stay brackets, oil filler cap (Mugen)
All fender bolts replaced with low profile alloy ones and anodized blue washers.
Full replacement silicon hoses in blue by Heavy Set (still to be fitted)
EBC vented brake discs (blanks, no drills or grooves)
Brake calipers all machined smooth, then sprayed blue.
Hubs machined smooth and painted blue

Future plans are to finish detailing the engine bay (and fitting a DC sports stainless manifold), then detailing the whole underside of the car. All parts will be painted/powder coated blue/black. Then the car will be getting a full respray, either in original colour (Orleans Blue mica) or a similar shade but in metalflake blue, with a custom flip. The key to it all is to not go over the top, as my wife always liked subtle mods that were sweet but kept the car looking almost oem. I'll never ever sell the car (they'll probably bury me in it!!), and we've owned it for over 11 years now. I just want to keep building it as a tribute to Dawn, my late wife.

Hope you like!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
More photos of interior and engine bay. Excuse the quality, just done on my phone about 5 mins ago!!
IMG_20150805_152953378dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_154114912dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_154107840dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153737513dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153633157dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153539682dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153431024dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153311326dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153225246dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153136303dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153123676dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153056466dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153249788dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153716384dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpgIMG_20150805_153041614dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpg
And finally, DD and Roxy together in their crib! IMG_20150805_154004920_HDRdawns-deck-aug-2015.jpg

Will get better photos with my camera later, but hope these will do for now. Photos don't do the interior justice!!:D

Attachments

• IMG_20150805_153605783dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpg
    IMG_20150805_153605783dawns-deck-aug-2015.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, when you said about what colour they were trimmed in, I was dubious but they actually look really smart and comfy.

Yes mate, the colour Dawn chose for the blue was as close to the actual colour of the car as possible, so all ties in nicely. And they are deffo comfy, a lot comfier as they renewed most of the seats foam internals, so like sitting in brand new seats. Did the run to Donnington for Japfest2 last year, around a 6 hour drive, and got there feeling fine! She got loads of attention on the stand too, which was nice. :smt055

Looks familiar. How you keeping Dave?
Hey hey! How you doing John! Long time no hear mate! Yeah still got the deck, although as you'll have gathered from above, Dawns no longer with us :noseblow:
Hows you and the family getting on? You still got the EP3?

I'd heard about Dawn :(

EP3's gone now, went back to a 130i, then chopped it in for a DC5 last week ;) 6 months with no Honda on the drive got to me :)

Yeah, been a tough time mate, went through a really dark time in my life, but came through it eventually. Still have days where I get down, but that's to be expected. Got a new girl now (Gayle) who's also a petrol head! So things are on the up!

Just read your thread on the DC5, good choice mate!!! Looks like you've picked up a good one!

Dave the car looks mint. Something different. Your late wife I can see enjoyed putting her vision/ style into this car. Like Danger said the interior looks the part and I like H for Honda in the seats.

The car looks the part. A nice threat dedicated to your late wife and the car she loved. :)

You need another garage to fit an EP3 in as well as the new Type-R :D

Have a good one.

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind comments. And know she'd be really happy with all the attention her car gets now. As for another garage.............don't tempt me! lol If I win the lottery, there's gonna be one massive garage collection starting right here in my garden. Would love a huge garage with enough room for maybe 10 to 20 cars! NSX-R would deffo have to feature too! Been looking at EP3's on the road a lot recently, some really sweet examples around where I live. Did think about seeling up the FN2 and getting one but decided against it. Who knows though............

Back