• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dc sports race header

Just be looking at the skunk 2 alpha header.. Anyone got any opinion on these? Not much price difference on the piper something one hundred squid
Never seen anyone run a S2 Alpha Series, not many reviews on it. Im in the same situation as you, want the best mani but ideally keep cat in for ease of MOT. Maybe swaying towards Piper. Maybe even a full S2 system with intake Manifold, Throttle body and exhaust mani, but I'd stay away from a S2 mega power beacuse of the volume!

I already sorted the cat back went for an m2 motorsport spoon style an I got to say when it arrived the build quality was amazing an sounds amazing aswell.. Yeah totally think if you get a decent priced de cat as in not a cheap bit of scaffolding poll some sell then it's a better option then going for a manifold that's just a one piece with de cat.. So hard though coz everyone has a different view an price bench.. But I'm gonna go for the skunk 2 manifold an see how I get on with it once if on the rollers

I was going to say Piper the other option is the hugely expensive Mugen, don't know of any more headers with sports cat.

@benztyper what's wrong with the Piper? I thought it was decent. I was going to go for the same set up as you, Piper manifold with sports cat and piper catback, how is the set up performance and noise wise?

Hi sorry for late reply, had a busy week.

Had my type r through an MOT yesterday and it failed on emissions with the piper sports cat, however my mechanic added some fuel adative and it sailed through so I just need to add that before next time.

Paul at TDi North just said the piper header doesnt flow as well as others. The sports cat and header are obviously better than oem so its a good compramise for no hassel of swopping decat pipes around.... and the full system sounds great not raspy just pure super car roar which is fun.

No worries, thanks for the info. I did hear later the Piper had shorter runners but we just haven't got many options if wanting to retain the cat.

A mate of mine has a DC5 and has fitted a DC Sports header so he said I could have his DC5 manifold and cat really cheap (mates rates ftw). So I'll probably go down that route plus I know the car it came off.

I did contact Honda just to see how much a new DC5 manifold and cat would be, it came in at nearly £2000 plus vat.

If I get it I'll probably wait until I have some other parts I want and fit and map together. May get it on Saturday.

Piper is pretty useless if the sports cat doesn't even pass emissions lol. I did see one example as above of a dc5 mani + cat getting over 240bhp. I believe tdi North had ported the header to make it flow better so you could look into this. Personally I'd rather go for a dc5 header + cat setup than piper anyway. Remember it will need to be remapped ideally and it will not necessarily stop EML coming on as I've heard the dc5 and ep3 cats being different means the sensor doesn't receive the correct reading to the ECU. Not a problem as such especially if you get remapped (sensor will be disabled on k100) but bear this in mind. That also gives you the option to buy a decat pipe if you wanted to aim for more power and swap the cat over each MOT. Won't be a huge job but needs to go on a ramp so it depends if you want the extra BHP and pay like 30 mins labour each MOT.

Piper is pretty useless if the sports cat doesn't even pass emissions lol. I did see one example as above of a dc5 mani + cat getting over 240bhp. I believe tdi North had ported the header to make it flow better so you could look into this. Personally I'd rather go for a dc5 header + cat setup than piper anyway. Remember it will need to be remapped ideally and it will not necessarily stop EML coming on as I've heard the dc5 and ep3 cats being different means the sensor doesn't receive the correct reading to the ECU. Not a problem as such especially if you get remapped (sensor will be disabled on k100) but bear this in mind. That also gives you the option to buy a decat pipe if you wanted to aim for more power and swap the cat over each MOT. Won't be a huge job but needs to go on a ramp so it depends if you want the extra BHP and pay like 30 mins labour each MOT.

True but a bottle of £10 additive wont fix a decat fail lol and cheaper than £2000 for a new dc5 setup. Every set up has it's pros and cons and if everyone did the same thing it would all be abit boring. Do your homework and pick whats best for what you want.... simples.

I wouldn't say the Piper is useless, there is a gain and £2000 for OEM new is a bit lol (I'd get a Mugen header for that).

I can't go wrong with the price he is selling the DC5 mani and cat for (£100). It is right every set up has pro's and con's and is all down to personal preference. If I wasn't bothered about running a decat I'd get a Tegiwa or DC Sports but I want to retain the cat so it would either be Piper or DC5, seems the price is right I'm going to go for the DC5.

Eventually I'm looking for 230-240 bhp, it'll be a while yet because I want to get the parts first, then fit and remap together to get the best.

The set up I'll be trying to go for will be:
FC Design airbox and scoop
70mm Skunk tb with 70mm RBC
DC5 mani and cat
Either full catback (I have a custom Longlife atm but I'll change it because it isn't the best)
or B Pipe with OEM backbox (Reasons are because I want to retain cat, OEM look and low decibels)
K100 remapped by TDI North.
I do want DIC's too but don't know if that'll be at the same time as the other stuff.

I also want to do other stuff too like drivetrain, suspension and brakes, although, brakes are near enough done already. I'll get a build thread going when I get the stuff I want, will probably take a while though lol.

Why do you keep saying £2000 for DC5 lol. Nobody has ever paid that brand new. They sell for like £150 second hand all the time lulz. And if you buy a piper header with sports cat and it fails the emissions then it is truly useless lol.

I suppose it is a little useless lol but sports cats are known to fail unless their really hot. Maybe that is why it failed but if it is up to temp and it makes more gains than a stock mani then I wouldn't say it's totally useless. (Just my opinion lol).

I would prefer new parts appose to used (just my preference of course) so I thought I would contact Honda to see how much a new DC5 mani and cat would be and it came in at just under £2000 plus vat, I would never pay that I just thought it was lol funny so I thought I'd share. (It's also handy if anyone wanted to know lol).

I know the DC5 mani's can be had for cheap second hand, that is why I'm getting one of a mate for £100 now just wanted to check a price on new first.

Hopefully when I get round to fitting the above set up it will make some good gains.

Just fitted DC5 manifold , and it certainly feels less restricted. Noise is hardly increased at all, except up into the 5000 rpm range....well happy for spending £ 150 and no MOT failures.

Good to know, got mine on Saturday don't know when I'll fit it yet, may do it the same time as a map.

if you buy a piper header with sports cat and it fails the emissions then it is truly useless lol.

Ignore my MOT fail, I have lambda sensor issues making my Annie run rich lol, a relief in one way but a wiring issue somewhere ](*,)

So it isn't useless :lol:. Lambda sensors can go on EP3's it's usually the pre cat sensor that causes issues. If it is try to replace with genuine OEM as others tend to fail quickly for some reason.

Bad news though genuine OEM are around £200 I believe. Hope you get it sorted soon though.

So it isn't useless :lol:. Lambda sensors can go on EP3's it's usually the pre cat sensor that causes issues. If it is try to replace with genuine OEM as others tend to fail quickly for some reason.

Bad news though genuine OEM are around £200 I believe. Hope you get it sorted soon though.

Yeah it's an old issue ive had a few months, bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage, definatly pre cat because post cat was removed with remap. I thought I had fixed it with a genuine oem part £178 from tegiwa, but it's back so now i'm looking at wiring.

Back