• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 DC2... Do I Or Don't I?

Don't get me wrong, I love my CTR, but I'm getting tempted to chop it in for a dc2 - I'd get some cash back and have an equally quick car with better handling, still looks great etc, just as practical (important as my job involves transporting IT equipment about).

The only things that are holding me back is the amount of miles I do - 70 mile round trip per day.

It's not the comfort - having driven and been in Krysiz's dc2 I actually feel that the dc2 is much more comfortable than the ep3, probably because of the seats which are nicer.

It's the fact that within a year I'll have a car with something like 150k miles on it. Would it be a problem?

I know it's fairly easy to source a newer engine replacement along the line when the miles really do add up, has anybody done this yet?

Even insurance is cheaper... man, this is a tough decision.

If you're looking at the thought of replacing the engine once the miles have gone up then its a swings and roundabouts situation as a low mileage B18 will still go for £2k so you could spend a bit more initially and buy a lower mileage car, there are still a few with less than 30k miles on if you look around or wait for the right car to come up :wink:

Hmm. Everytime I clean my car (i.e. very rarely) I just look and go "nah, I'll keep it no matter what the cost"

But spending some time in Krysiz's dc2 today made me seriously consider it... then I got home and saw mine which I washed on Saturday and just wanted to keep mine again.

Both are equally great cars, just different...

HorrificVTEC said:
Hmm. Everytime I clean my car (i.e. very rarely) I just look and go "nah, I'll keep it no matter what the cost"

But spending some time in Krysiz's dc2 today made me seriously consider it... then I got home and saw mine which I washed on Saturday and just wanted to keep mine again.

Both are equally great cars, just different...

question: have u driven the dc2 before or have just been a passenger?

I've driven it on two occasions, both quite brief. I found the steering and handling to be excellent, but wasn't so into the gearbox, perhaps I just needed more time to get used to that though.

saboteur said:
Which one would you get if you were to? the one with the goggle lights or the older one without???

The goggle lights as you call them are on all UK cars regardless of age, the ones without are JDM versions.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert a UK one to have those lights and would a K20 engine fit like :?:

Carl

Must admit this had crossed my mind a couple of times, but for a nice low mileage DC2 your still looking @ 8K.

Saving of about 4K for me, but a car almost 6 years older.
Plus I'm not sure about how bulletproof they are?

It's a B series engine so should be pretty strong, but, in a way it is a step backwards. You will be going for an older car which inherrantly is going to develop more faults and cost more to run.

However, taking that aside, it has to come to personal preference.

The CTR is a bit too comfotable for me, but the DC2 is a bit too raw.
So what do you do.

Move forwards (for your needs) and get a DC5 if you can stretch to it.

If you can live with the DC2, then get one, the looks for me are leagues ahead of the CTR.

My DC2 is very strong and is 'actually' owing me about £3500 so it can be done very cheaply (UK S plate with 100k miles) will release a fair bit of cash for mods :)

SpaceMonkey said:
Must admit this had crossed my mind a couple of times, but for a nice low mileage DC2 your still looking @ 8K.

Saving of about 4K for me, but a car almost 6 years older.
Plus I'm not sure about how bulletproof they are?

Ive had 2 DC2's and an EP3,
The DC2 is an awesome machine, the handling out of this world as standard. The Engine is a lot more raw thn the EP3, as in more visicous Vtec changeover.
The only thing with them is that they have low gear ratio's, which is great on the track, B roads etc.. but on the motorway the revs are high for the speed your doing.

ITR BOY said:
The DC2 is an awesome machine, the handling out of this world as standard. The Engine is a lot more raw thn the EP3, as in more visicous Vtec changeover.
The only thing with them is that they have low gear ratio's, which is great on the track, B roads etc.. but on the motorway the revs are high for the speed your doing.

Doesn't the 4.75FD fix this? JDM DC2's came with that didn't they?

ITR BOY said:

Does that mean that the DC2 is less economical then the EP3?
Also, which do you prefer having owned both of them!

Red said:
ITR BOY said:

Doesn't the 4.75FD fix this? JDM DC2's came with that didn't they?

My cruising speed in the DC2 is around 5Krpm on the motorway in the EP3 it was around 3.5-4k so you do sit lower in the EP3, mine's a UK spec DC2 btw :)

saboteur said:
HASNIC, what would you say is better for everyday use; the dc2 or the ep3??

Most people would find the EP3 a lot easier for everyday use as it's a more rounded car for comfort/speed/fun IMO

The EP3 for a more pratical everyday car, but for sheer rawness the DC2. This is the car that set the benchmark for every "Type R" to follow.

Both cars have advantages and disadvantages, the EP3 is larger inside than the DC2, hasd more soundproofing.

I cannot fault the EP3 in anyway as its a superb car, but if any EP3 owners havent driven a DC2, then I would strongly recomend it.

There is a mate I used to work with, and at the time he hadn't past his test, I gave him a lift home in the DC2, he swore that as soon as funds permit, that was the car for him and was gobsmacked, Not seen him for a while till the other week to find out he now has a mint T reg CW DC2 !!!

GET ONE

Back