• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 Inner Arches Revealed - Rust Within - Help :/

Hi guys,

I know this isn't a primarily DC2 website but just wondering what you guys have used when treating rust? As you see by the pictures it's the typical UKDM DC2 inner arch rust (not come through at all on outers) and I'm looking to delay the process for about 9 months whilst I save to have them cut out / replaced and maybe the car sprayed as it's turning different shades of red now. I've had a look on DC2-ITR and they seem to use Kurust to stop it but I've read it's not potent enough anymore to properly deal with issues like this.

I'm slightly gutted but I'd rather know how bad it is, ignorance isn't bliss when it doesn't stop rust from eating the car inside out.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003-5.jpg

DSC_0005-7.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

Thanks!

Si.

MilanoChris had the arches done on his DC2 for a similar thing, so I'd expect he knows about it.

Hopefully he'll be along soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine cut out fully and replaced, as it was bubbling on the outside. I didn't look into preventative maintenance as it was too far gone I think. There's a lengthy thread on the DC2 forums with lots of pics and suggestions for what to do to help prevent the rot.

Cheers bud, I did take a look at that this morning which was quite helpful. Ordered myself the rust treatment kit I linked so for summer I'll be ok and I can save up to have it all cut out and replaced. There's a bodyshop quite local which is doing Joe Clifford's (Banzai) EF and did the other halfs Swift when she reversed into a bin (D'oh!) so I'll be going there hopefully in 6-9 months.

Thanks!

Si.

if it looks ok from the outside i would be inclined to put all the interior back in and sell as soon as possible. try and engineer it so the viewer comes in the dark for an evening viewing or pray for rain so they can't inspect the paintwork properly.

Haha! The paint on the outside is flawless, no signs whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I'm not that kinda guy. Plus I have a it's "my car" feeling towards it. I'm far more inclined to save a grand and have it sorted properly, I know I'd end up buying a DC2 again so why sell this, spend money buying another DC2 which could potentially have the same issue (my luck, I'd be the viewer seeing the car in the rain). Atleast when I know mine is done, it's done. To be honest, the MOT is next month, get that out of the way, 3 months of saving and it'll be able to go in. So that's only around Sept/Oct time. I can live with that.

Si.

if you're going to end up buying another DC2 and the car is good otherwise it would be a waste to sell it and buy another car with potentially the same or different common problems that you might have resolved already on this one. good luck.

That's a good price to be honest, for the safe fact of knowing during your ownership it shouldn't ever come back! I'll run about for some quotes shortly.

I was getting quotes of around £800 but I managed to get it done at mates rates and cash in hand. But mine was through to the outside, so yours may be cheaper!

Fingers crossed, I'm sure I'll end up letting you guys know how I get on anyway. Rear light gaskets arrived this morning so at least it will be the end of having a lake in the back of the car and I can put my interior back in. Going slightly deaf from the exhaust now!

Back