• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 Steering Arm Replacement

I'm having a problem getting the 30mm nut in front of the Rack Slider undone. Any suggestions? It's just really tight and as space is limited I can't really get much leverage on the big nuts. Any suggestions guys?

I have some shorter (25mm) Steering Arms by Hard Race as replacements. This is so I can get add more Camber and lessen the Toe In. At the moment the Toe In is set at 8mm with Camber at 3 degrees and Caster at 2.4. I need up to 6 degrees of Camber with the Toe a lot less. Bit of a hairy ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people have resorted to using a scaffold bar for extra leverage! They're super awkward to get to

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You might have some luck with a gearless ratchet (because they - generally - have a smaller angle to turn through before you can apply force to them).

Go to the gym.
Some people remove the rack completely to help. Personally never had an issue undoing them in the vehicle.

So thanks for the help guys. I persisted and finally came up trumps. Over night soaking of Acetone and ATF worked (thanks Dad), while the right one was a lot stubborn I finally had a win. Now onto the next thing. I reckon it's going to Bump Steer like a Sod now. So I'll have a look at raising the Rack but that's another Thread. Many thanks to all.

You need to measure the bump steer. The rule/myth of having the arms straight is incorrect and increases bump steer. They need to be at an angle.

I will indeed check it when it goes on the machine. What sort of Toe Numbers am I looking for? Before it was 8 static toe in and with three of us under the car trying to pull down it shot out to 16mm Toe In (sort of duplicating under brakes).

You want at least 0mm static toe. If anything slightly toe out depending on your preference.
You can measure the bump steer by either adding weight to reduce the front height or jacking it up. It should give similar readings. Either way you want the toe figure to stay close to, but ideally exactly what you set it at static. It’s near impossible to do this but it can be achieved with the right parts.

Onward: I've received / fitted the Tegiwa Rack Raiser and the Hard Race Adjustable Arms. Next step is to get the new tyres (A050 M front and GS rear) fitted (happening now) then get the Type R on the Alignment machine.

Back