• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 dc5 vs dc2

I've never driven a DC2, but I imagine that if you want a more driver focussed car then the DC2 is the right choice. If you want a driver's car that's reasonably comfortable and has fresher looks then the DC5 would be the choice.

I think insurance would also play a factor.

shame my missus doesn't live in nuneaton anymore, or i'd have let you have a go in mine.

DC5 is marginally quicker in a straight line than a UK spec DC2 once both are up and running. The JDM spec one however is more than a match for the DC5. In the corners however is the real story. Though the DC5 has probably as much if not more mechanical grip, the DC2 just gives so much feel that I guarantee you will corner quicker in one than any other Type R. It just comes alive and talks to you in a way no other front wheel drive car can. It gives you so much confidence pushing on that you can comfortably leave much more powerful cars behind without even trying. Don't get me wrong the DC5 is a belter too, quicker and better balanced than my old EP3 CTR was by a noticeable margin, but the DC2 pips it for out and out driver appeal. That said, the DC5 is higher on my shortlist for next car, just for the reason it's much newer and can be picked up with less mileage.

I have driven a JDM DC2 in the past and I thought it was awesome, As others have said it is more of a 'drivers' car - saying that I am more than happy with the DC5 :twisted:

DC5 is marginally quicker in a straight line than a UK spec DC2 once both are up and running. The JDM spec one however is more than a match for the DC5. .

Agree totally...and had more point proven by my mate in his JDM Dc2:-&

using the key isn't a problem. its just like i said i was wrongly told it was part of the c pack and i didn't want to be buying something that wasn't what it was supposed to be. As i have my eye on a championship white one with c pack and 33,500 miles for a bout £12,500. that seem a fair price?

I think its at least a grand over priced, if not slightly more, picked up mine in Nov with 27k, few mods and immaculate for a lot less than £12.5k:twisted:

I've got one of each, and they're different driving experiences imho, although my DC2 is boggo and the DC5 has a few mods. Which one is for you depends on what you want out of the car. Posted this in response to a similar question on the DC2 forum:

I would describe the DC2 as organic, mechanical, 'mobile', challenging but more satisfying to get right. The DC5 is more refined, faster, grippier, easier to drive reasonably quickly but almost too competent - so you don't feel the need to go looking for the last bit.

Out of the box the DC2 wins for involvement. I think a DC5 could be even better with a few well-chosen mods, but the OEM suspension setup lets it down, as do the 17s. It could be a good B-road tool with some different springs and a set of lighweight 16s imho, but very few people actually take that direction with them.

Talking about which is a little bit quicker in a straight line is missing the point really - would you prefer a slightly old-school motor with a focus on feel, or a newer more 'complete' overall package?

Bump, ive been offered a very nice example JDM 98 spec from a pal (Pablo from ZSOC, Lee)

It's in fabulous condition. He is the first owner since imported from 200BHP. I saw it in person last night and looks very appealing.

Bump, ive been offered a very nice example JDM 98 spec from a pal (Pablo from ZSOC, Lee)

It's in fabulous condition. He is the first owner since imported from 200BHP. I saw it in person last night and looks very appealing.

What do you want from a car? JDM DC2's are very pricey still for what is essentially a 10 year old car. Mine cost me little over £3k, if I had £8k to spend on a car I'd be back in a DC5.

A nice motor from the spec & pics I've seen Ben, plus Paul doesn't drive hard anyways.
I'd be tempted if I were you especially as you have David lined up to buy the DC5. Depends on whether you want something comfy & quick or just something quick?

A nice motor from the spec & pics I've seen Ben, plus Paul doesn't drive hard anyways.
I'd be tempted if I were you especially as you have David lined up to buy the DC5. Depends on whether you want something comfy & quick or just something quick?

You are off my christmas card list Lee ;)

She is in good nick, its going to be a sad day whoever gets her. Plus I agree 8k is a lot for a DC2...even in yellow. With Mugen bits :)

refering back to the uk dc2 and jdm version, the jdm teg has a differnt exhaust manifold design which bring it closer to 200bhp.

DC5 is marginally quicker in a straight line than a UK spec DC2 once both are up and running. The JDM spec one however is more than a match for the DC5. In the corners however is the real story. Though the DC5 has probably as much if not more mechanical grip, the DC2 just gives so much feel that I guarantee you will corner quicker in one than any other Type R. It just comes alive and talks to you in a way no other front wheel drive car can. It gives you so much confidence pushing on that you can comfortably leave much more powerful cars behind without even trying. Don't get me wrong the DC5 is a belter too, quicker and better balanced than my old EP3 CTR was by a noticeable margin, but the DC2 pips it for out and out driver appeal. That said, the DC5 is higher on my shortlist for next car, just for the reason it's much newer and can be picked up with less mileage.

Quite agree with the handling aspect. however with the modifications my DC5 has had, i do think my DC5 handles a lot better than my mates DC2. as you said the response you get from the steering wheel is good and proper along with the grip, never experienced better, even my previous evo can't match it.

as for the original question... i see a DC5 as a pride and joy aswel as a Track toy. With the DC2 it could be someones pride and joy and it is to many, but with its dated looks i do feel its more a track toy. most of my friends tend to buy the DC2 because its cheaper. not much, if any work needs to be carried out before tracking it. it can be hammered and is still reliable even with abit of mileage on it.

its all personal choice

I have been in two of my mates DC5s and theirs dont come close to handling like mine does. I agree completely that something in a DC2 gives you confidence to take much faster cars and on a decent a / b road their DC5s would be left behind.

I don't know what Malik has done to his and can't comment, but I disagree they look dated. They still turn heads in good nick. Plus with a DC2 bushes replaced the car is beyond responsive.

Don't get me wrong I may look at a DC5 next but I just don't think it will make me feel the way a DC2 did.

Do you really think a DC2 will leave a DC5 on a B-Road?

Thats crap really, it wouldn't. There far to similar, would be down to drivers, not cars.

And yes it does look old, the rear is the worst angle. :D

Do you really think a DC2 will leave a DC5 on a B-Road?

Thats crap really, it wouldn't. There far to similar, would be down to drivers, not cars.

It would totally be down to the drivers BUT, I reckon in a timed sprint, with the same driver, the DC2 would put in the quicker time. The DC2 in my experience feels sharper than a DC5.This is not a criticism of the DC5, I love them but they are two different cars. Out of the box, the DC2 is the rawer car while the DC5 is more comfortable and probably a better daily drive but is still more than capable of putting fear into the hearts of the big boys. They both punch above their weight and I respect that hugely. It's why I am a Honda fanboy, clever engineering overcoming outright big power (within reason of course)

This isn't taking into account modded cars as that adds too many variables. If you chuck enough money at it, any car can be made world beating.

The DC2 v DC5 debate is redundant I feel. There is no 'best', best is relative to your needs. It's a personal decision.

My 2p.

Buy them both, problem solved :lol:

Seriously, i would love to get a DC2 as well as my DC5 so i could play about modding it.
The problem is i still have the call of the Evo in me :rolleyes:

Back