• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Decat Engine Light Elimination Methods

Ok, i have been having issues with the well known engine light coming on due to the decat on my EP3.

The car had an electronic O2 simulator fitted when I got it but the light was still coming on, when looking into it further I noticed the wiring was not exactly up to much so I have since removed it.

My question is, what are people using ? are you all using the electronic thing or the screw in spacer you can buy ? Which works for you guys so I know what route to take ?

If you go with the mechanical solution is it teh one with the 6mm hole through it or do you go for the 13mm hole version ? also how long is the spacer folk are successfully using as I know there are various lengths available !

thanks in advance

get a K100 and remap it, whereas the solutions you mentioned may get rid of the engine management light it is pretty much just bodging it, the engine will not be running as it should unless you remap it to run with a decat

I know, thats why its already been remapped using a unichip. I am asking specifically about the two available methods of removing the EML. Also, for the record unticking a box in the software on the K100 ECU just stops the ECU from looking for that sensor, so that in itself is also bodging it !

I cannot believe for one minute that on a forum as large as this noone is using an O2 Sim or Lambda Spacer, I am just trying to determine which of the two methods is the best as I am not willing to go down the Kpro route when the Unichip works just as well for my modifications.

I know, thats why its already been remapped using a unichip. I am asking specifically about the two available methods of removing the EML. Also, for the record unticking a box in the software on the K100 ECU just stops the ECU from looking for that sensor, so that in itself is also bodging it !

I cannot believe for one minute that on a forum as large as this noone is using an O2 Sim or Lambda Spacer, I am just trying to determine which of the two methods is the best as I am not willing to go down the Kpro route when the Unichip works just as well for my modifications.

Taylor

WRONG.
It isn't simply unticking a box so the ECU stops looking for it...
While in basic terms, this is correct, the ECU is mapped specifically to suit the fact that there is a De-cat in place, eliminating the need for the secondary Lambda probe. Only utilising the primary for AF Readings.

The secondary lambda is purely there to confirm that the CAT is working, properly.

No-one/hardly anyone uses O2 sims or lamda spacers as it's not the right way to do things.....

There's a reason why people use K100/Kpro....

Also.....

I am not willing to go down the Kpro route when the Unichip works just as well for my modifications.

I have now removed the Unichip and personally feel the car runs better, its also most definately runnning richer than it was too as when I pulled the plugs there a much better colour than they were with the chip connected. I can remap cars myself so I am planning to probably get a second hand K100/KPRO and go that route

Just fitted one of these spacers a couple of days ago so i can run about this week whilst waiting on a new ECU without the the engine nearly stalling at junctions. There's not a chance in hell i'd run about with one on a regular basis! And i'm certainly not driving it in anger till the ECU's been sorted! IMO its either de-cat with a new ECU or keep the CAT.

WRONG.
It isn't simply unticking a box so the ECU stops looking for it...
While in basic terms, this is correct, the ECU is mapped specifically to suit the fact that there is a De-cat in place, eliminating the need for the secondary Lambda probe. Only utilising the primary for AF Readings.

The secondary lambda is purely there to confirm that the CAT is working, properly.

No-one/hardly anyone uses O2 sims or lamda spacers as it's not the right way to do things.....

There's a reason why people use K100/Kpro....

Not wrong, you untick a box which stops the ecu looking for the sensor that is no longer required due to there being no cat as you have said yes, obviously the ECU is remapped to suit whatever modifications you have, not just because you have a decat fitted. You map it to take into account the engine is breathing better overall and would still do this even if you left the cat in place and fitted other modifications.

The way you have worded the first part of your response implies that the stock setup uses both O2 sensors for A/F monitoring which is incorrect. You then correctly state the second O2 is just to confirm the CAT is doing its job.

Saying not to use an O2 sim or spacer is not the right way to do things is incorrect. All you are doing by fitting the Sim or the spacer is ensuring the correct sensor voltage is seen by the ECU. This has exactly the same effect as telling the ECU not to look for that voltage and if done right there is no reason why anyone can say this is not the right way to do it. When the O2 sensor is in place behind the CAT the voltage does not cycle up and down so much and therefore the second sensor outputs a different signal to the first sensor, this is what the ECU expects to see. If the CAT is removed it has the same effect as putting both sensors side by side which causes the signals to be almost the same, the ECU then thinks your CAT is knackered and this is what then brings the EML on. All you need to do to prevent the light from coming on is ensure the rear O2 sensor outputs a different less fluctuating voltage to the ECU, I believe from some recent testing I have carried out this voltage is around 0.45v and as long as the ECU sees that you will not get any EML issues.

I am not daft, I have fitted and remapped ECU's in various cars and know how it all works, you then copy a post from my other thread to prove what ? the only reason I am not sticking with the unichip is because the software is not available to allow me to remap it myself which Is why a Kpro is a good option, its nothing to do with me looking for more functionality at all, although I agree that is a bonus.

I thought the whole point of this forum was to help people out ? I think we all need to remember not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a Kpro and pay for a remap ! If people already have some other form of management fitted or wish to eliminate an EML due to removal of a cat then there are still other cheaper options available and this thread was purely to try and find out which method out of the cheaper options works the best ! Not to start yet another thread that leads to the generic answer of just go fit a kpro !

And just for the record, you all seem to say you MUST get a remap with a full exhaust system/header/decat fitted ? well I stuck my wideband on mine without the unichip fitted just to check the fuelling was still ok and it was well within spec, if anything its running a little on the rich side. I am in no way saying every EP3 will be like this, but mine certainly is and I have no lumpy idle or stalling at junctions etc.

Not trying to fight with anyone here, I am just trying to help out those people who cannot afford to blow a load of cash on a fully mappable ECU plus the tuning time !

Last edited by a moderator:
Well spoken in my opinion. Were not all flush with cash

Finding out solutions for a better way of doing things, in these kind of forums is what we all hope for.

If you want stand alone managment buy aem

I agree we all aint got loads to spend although we would like to do things properly its nott always possible.

I would like to know other way of gettin around this as im planning on decating my ep3

Not wrong, you untick a box which stops the ecu looking for the sensor that is no longer required due to there being no cat as you have said yes, obviously the ECU is remapped to suit whatever modifications you have, not just because you have a decat fitted. You map it to take into account the engine is breathing better overall and would still do this even if you left the cat in place and fitted other modifications.

The way you have worded the first part of your response implies that the stock setup uses both O2 sensors for A/F monitoring which is incorrect. You then correctly state the second O2 is just to confirm the CAT is doing its job.

Saying not to use an O2 sim or spacer is not the right way to do things is incorrect. All you are doing by fitting the Sim or the spacer is ensuring the correct sensor voltage is seen by the ECU. This has exactly the same effect as telling the ECU not to look for that voltage and if done right there is no reason why anyone can say this is not the right way to do it. When the O2 sensor is in place behind the CAT the voltage does not cycle up and down so much and therefore the second sensor outputs a different signal to the first sensor, this is what the ECU expects to see. If the CAT is removed it has the same effect as putting both sensors side by side which causes the signals to be almost the same, the ECU then thinks your CAT is knackered and this is what then brings the EML on. All you need to do to prevent the light from coming on is ensure the rear O2 sensor outputs a different less fluctuating voltage to the ECU, I believe from some recent testing I have carried out this voltage is around 0.45v and as long as the ECU sees that you will not get any EML issues.

I am not daft, I have fitted and remapped ECU's in various cars and know how it all works, you then copy a post from my other thread to prove what ? the only reason I am not sticking with the unichip is because the software is not available to allow me to remap it myself which Is why a Kpro is a good option, its nothing to do with me looking for more functionality at all, although I agree that is a bonus.

I thought the whole point of this forum was to help people out ? I think we all need to remember not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a Kpro and pay for a remap ! If people already have some other form of management fitted or wish to eliminate an EML due to removal of a cat then there are still other cheaper options available and this thread was purely to try and find out which method out of the cheaper options works the best ! Not to start yet another thread that leads to the generic answer of just go fit a kpro !

And just for the record, you all seem to say you MUST get a remap with a full exhaust system/header/decat fitted ? well I stuck my wideband on mine without the unichip fitted just to check the fuelling was still ok and it was well within spec, if anything its running a little on the rich side. I am in no way saying every EP3 will be like this, but mine certainly is and I have no lumpy idle or stalling at junctions etc.

Not trying to fight with anyone here, I am just trying to help out those people who cannot afford to blow a load of cash on a fully mappable ECU plus the tuning time !

Stoo is one of the wisest most informed members on this forum when it comes to engines. You'd be smart to pay attention to what he says.

Stoo is one of the wisest most informed members on this forum when it comes to engines. You'd be smart to pay attention to what he says.

You make him sound like Gandalf of the internal combustion engine.

Only without the beard :)

:lol:

Oh we have a Beard here though. With Stoo.'s I.C.E/four ring knowledge and Beard's unbeatable grammar skills/binary brain, combined together, TRO is a force to be reckoned with.

Ye all be warned!

Back