• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 Depressed with my CTR vs WRX Vers.8

Dear CTR Owners,

I am kind of disappointed with my expected performance for my FD2 CTR lastnight launching a 1/2mile with a Subaru impreza WRX (Not Sti) version 8. This is the first time i feel hopeless against a junior turbo charged car. With the review i have from the website my CTR do stand a chance to win or at least cope up with the power of WRX Version 8. Below is my review for my race lastnight and i hope there are some experienced CTR Owner who can give me some value advice to gain back my courage of pride for my CTR.

My FD2 CTR (225hp)
Stock most, only installed a Blitz Drop In Air Filter

Subaru impreza WRX 2.0 Version 8 (227hp)
HKS Full catback exhaust system
Air Cleaner
Greddy Blow off valve

I started with 4-5k RPM launching for 3 rounds and non of the round can manage to cope up with the WRX. During the last Rev (6-7.5RPM) of his 2nd gear, he is already 1/4 a body ahead of me and when he reached his 3rd gear full power i feel like my CTR had stopped and he shooted like an arrow. That is the first time i feel hopless with my CTR.

At our second set 3 rounds try, i got an advice from one of my honda mate suggesting using 3k RPM for launching and once the tire burned release the acceleration in a split sec and rev 1st gear to 7k, 2nd gear to 7.5k and 3rd gear to 8.5k. I admit that i did not manage to do exactly like he said but i do have it close to what he said. Anyway the result is the same, i lost about twice the lenght of 2 WRX body frame.

The only thing i can say is when i am reving in my 3rd gear the hopeless feeling is getting very obvious.

Please chip in some comments and value suggestion. I love honda and driving my CTR i do feel like a representative of honda on the street but if i cant catch up with a WRX i will start to feel like i am drive a family car...

my Doubt:
Is my Blitz cleaner decrease my VTR power?
Did anyone of you ever race with a WRX?
Is it really no chance in winning a turbo car in a 1/4mile?

Plzzz help me... i got another try arranged this saturday..

Thanks CTR...

The CTR in my experience is better against a Scooby at about 80mph+ then ive never lost to one, I doubt a CTR will ever beat a scoob from a launch cos the 4 wheel drive just gives it to much traction from the start. The CTR is more a track car than a 1/4 mile car.

what he said. Show him and bend and i'd expect you to power away, you'd murder it on a track but you can't compete with outright torque and 4WD for launching.

Don't worry, you have a far superior car for the things that actually count :cool:

Guys,

I never expect to go ahead a WRX but atleast close to it reference to their specification. I know CTR is not built for launching but track and i am pretty much sure if i was on a track with this WRX i stand a better chance winning it. By having this experience i hope i can master a better 1/4mile launching experience and i am happy to lost 1/2 a body of a WRX during launching. Anyway i think i have start chipping jeweries into my CTR for a better performance.

Beside, do anyone of you have the experience losing power by chnaging a normal drop in air filter? I remeber seeing it in some magz saying that I-Vtec will experience power drop if cleaner was the only modification. Do know if anyone of you can tell me about it.

Cheers

Drop in filter shouldn't really drop any power it's the open cone filters which can drop you power due to heat but once rolling on the open road should give you an increase if there is enough cold air getting to the filter.

Tbh you shouldn't be far off the WRX as power/weight you should have a higher bhp/tonne and at higher speed you should reel him back in. Try a rolling start in 2nd gear from about 40mph and see how you get on make sure your redlining it too.

Sorry to say could be down to your driving :lol:

You sure your friend isn't pushing out more power?

I will admit part of my lost is due to my skill as that night i was thinking too much steps to follow given by a couple of people. I tried again with a DC2 Type-R and i can consistantly keep my RPM at 6-7K during my swift change and that gave me a better feel on speed. I will try once again with the same WRX to see if there is any difference.

With the Blitz drop in filter i have it is made for FD2 but been using it for a few months i realise that the engine loosen up some troque and power. I might be thinking too much due to my lost but i have an experience guy telling me that from the way i drive he heard that my engine sound very week and heavy. So i will try and put back the original cleaner this weekend and give it a try. If the drop in filter does cause my power lost then i will go for Mugen intake system as a better quality intake system.

Did anyone of you have your cleaner changed? what type you use and how do you feel?

Cheers

I will admit part of my lost is due to my skill as that night i was thinking too much steps to follow given by a couple of people. I tried again with a DC2 Type-R and i can consistantly keep my RPM at 6-7K during my swift change and that gave me a better feel on speed. I will try once again with the same WRX to see if there is any difference.

With the Blitz drop in filter i have it is made for FD2 but been using it for a few months i realise that the engine loosen up some troque and power. I might be thinking too much due to my lost but i have an experience guy telling me that from the way i drive he heard that my engine sound very week and heavy. So i will try and put back the original cleaner this weekend and give it a try. If the drop in filter does cause my power lost then i will go for Mugen intake system as a better quality intake system.

Did anyone of you have your cleaner changed? what type you use and how do you feel?

Cheers

You should try and shift at about 8.5k as that will drop you straight back into the power zone.

How many miles has your car done? As you should do an oil change at 1000 miles and it will loosen up a little and after a few more thousand miles will loosen up more.

If you want power I wouldn't go for a mugen box as it is pretty much the same as standard go for a GruppeM, thats what I have and you will feel the difference :)

Cheers

Hey there! Just from my own point of view, the subbie would have at least added 10 - 15 HP and an increase in torque from its basic modification as stated. It's just the natural wonder of a turbo for it to easily gain such results. Anyways! Your lost to the rex wouldnt come as surprising to me though. Comparing to a 4 wheel drive grip which gives a jump start advantage in pick up, while you're still struggling to get as much traction from the numerous wheel spin from your CTR. But dont be depressed! Your CTR can easily whop alot of cars in the same category on the track, you'd be surprise! Trust me on this :twisted:

On my recent visit to brands hatch, i had a pair of impreza wagans that couldnt keep up with me in the twisty stuff, i just seemed to pull away slightly and was evenly matched on the final straight in my EP3.

you cant get the best out of most cars unless your on a track, plus street racing is illegal and stupid/dangerous.

you cant get the best out of most cars unless your on a track, plus street racing is illegal and stupid/dangerous.

if you read from the start you would see where he is from and know that it's legal.

I think that you have the wrong car for your own personal type of fun.

Have fun whatever, but stay safe

:cool:

Back