• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DerbyForget's NHB EP3

Hi all, I have been on the forum a while now and thought it time to create a thread about my NHB CTR. I have owned it for just under a year and it has been a joy... (most of the time)

Firstly let me introduce you to my previous cars :-

First one... a 1L 12v Vauxhall Corsa

corsa1.jpg

corsa3.jpg

corsa2.jpg

Nice little motor and great for a first car

Secondly a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra SXI...

astra1.jpg

astra2.jpg

astra3.jpg

tended to roll in the corners! ha horrible thing

and heres how it looked after falling asleep at the wheel on a German Autobahn! -

astra4.jpg

astra5.jpg

astra6.jpg

astra7.jpg

:p

When i originally bought my CTR, i got it cheap as it was a CAT D insurance write off, after a quick look around it and a test drive i decided to buy it. In retrospect it was a mistake to and i rushed into it because having previously driven a 1.6 astra... i believe the remarks were "arr this is well fast! how much do you want for it???" after a few days of ownership i soon realised just how bad it actually was. the repairs were not proffessional at all and i think it had been hastenly fixed and sold on!

So i was left with a dilema do i sell the car on privately or to a dealership at great cost to myself... or do i restore it to its former glory and get it mint once again, and keep it forever and ever. After looking at my finances and soon realising i would lose far too much money if i were to sell i decided on the latter, so here begins the story...

I dont know if you have noticed from the photos but the bonnet isnt quite sitting right and is in fact bent. So the first task is going to be to replace the slam panel, picking one up this weekend and will get it welded in by a local garage. I am also paying a visit to a certain CTRO member who is breaking a NHB CTR at the weekend where i will be getting a new bonnet, along with other various parts that i want.. and need :)

shall keep y'all udated of the progress with build pics etc hopefully in the not so distant future with alot of TLC i will have it to its former glory once again... thanks for viewing :)

looks nice think slam panel is bolt on ?

you may be thinking of the reinforcement panel that runs across the top of your rad. its commonly and incorrectly refered to as the slam panel. the slam panel is infact the bar/ large bracket that is welded to your chassis behind your bumper, the rad is mounted to it and headlights etc mine is bent and so is first on the list of things to replace :)

EDIT : my bad your right mate, however the reinforcement bar that i have described is the one im replacing

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mate, wheels look so awesome in this pic

SAM_1096.jpg

rf55 knows his sh1t man, he's also a mechanic :)

Look forward to working on this again! 8)

Back