• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Detailing....

Deeper Detail

Approved Trader
Just a quick message, but if anyone wants any info on any detailing products out there that I have used.....
I'll always give the best info that I can give in terms of products and always say it like it is....

Whether it be snowfoam to clay or whatever, I'm here to help.

Hi mate, i recently blew a fair wedge buying a load of megs products, from the clay detailing kit and metal polish to the carnauba wax and tyre gel. So far i have been really impressed with the results of each one although i thought the metal polish was pretty crap. Anyway, a couple of questions id like to ask. 1 - is a lambs wool mitt the best thing for washing with? 2 - whats a good (cheapish) non-acidic wheel cleaner? and can you suggest a methodic order in which to do a full detail excluding engine bay?
Thankyou

Hiya mate. Just a quick reply for now as I need to get to work for 9:30am.... I personally use the good quality noodle mitts, but that's just for ease of care. Lambs wool mitts are great, but take slightly more looking after, as stuff does get trapped in them, so combing them after washing is what you should do. Bilberry wheel cleaner is a non- acidic and dilutes down to really good ratios. Smart wheels is even more economical by autosmart, but it's a case of buying 5L at once.... Bilberry you can buy in smaller bottles... One word on the megs clay (white one?) I found it a little stiff for honda paint and can leave marring if your not careful, but you can get away with it by popping it in warm water to soften it up...
I'll post a detail method/order when I get home tonight....

1) Wash Wheels - Bilberry, with Vikan wheel brushes, also clean tyres with citrus degreaser.
2) Pre Wash car - Foam it up, even use a tad APC to get rid of older LSP
3) Rinse Car
4) Wash car, with duragloss 901
5) rinse Car
6) Clay car whilst car still wet, use BiltHamber clay with water as lube
7) Re wash car
8) Rinse car
9) Dry car
10) Polishing stage - by hand, go for AG SRP.
11) If you've used SRP, you may aswell go for AG EGP
12) Dress tyres/trim/windows/exhaust/plastics.
13) Wax the car.

I wouldn't say this above is a detail, as it doens't include any machine polishing, but it's the most economical proceess when working by hand.

thanks mate, dont get sacked on my account. I have heard good things about the bilberry stuff i may have to order some off ebay, i think it was about a tenner. I have been using a microfibre mitt up untill now when washing my car. No matter what i do im always left with the 'water spot' marks after. I have an nhb ctr which i realise is a pain to keep clean but i dont know what im doing wrong. I have also been using the turtle wax nano wash which i cant honestly say im too impressed with. can you recomend a good one? I have had good results with the white megs clay bar, although i get through quite alot of the detailer just lubricating it. I have also heard that the bilt hammer stuff is pretty good for the job, and cheap!

thanks mate, dont get sacked on my account. I have heard good things about the bilberry stuff i may have to order some off ebay, i think it was about a tenner. I have been using a microfibre mitt up untill now when washing my car. No matter what i do im always left with the 'water spot' marks after. I have an nhb ctr which i realise is a pain to keep clean but i dont know what im doing wrong. I have also been using the turtle wax nano wash which i cant honestly say im too impressed with. can you recomend a good one? I have had good results with the white megs clay bar, although i get through quite alot of the detailer just lubricating it. I have also heard that the bilt hammer stuff is pretty good for the job, and cheap!

You might want to get yourself a drying aid, or a wet wax, makes drying easier, and the water spots are from where the water has dried on. Buy some Duragloss 901.

That's the problem with regular clays, they use too much lube. Bilt hamber uses water, so you can lube away!

i will get the bilt hamber next time, i think they have that on ebay too. I will also look into the duragloss stuff too. How often should i be claying and waxing?

Claying, maybe once a year, or 6 months perhaps.

Wax - depends on what you get. I do a big detail once a year, then top up as necessary, maybe 3-4 months.

Yeah bilberry is one of the best available, you'll probably get it cheaper off I4detailing or waxamomo, scout around...

Water spots are just the minerals that are in our water, so whilst you are washing and rinsing, panel by panel, keep your washed panels wet until your done and then get the car dry before any drying out occurs and never wash your car in the sun ;)

All the dodo shampoos have lime scale inhibitors in them to combat this, worth a look at...

Drying aids, megs last touch is what a lot go for, but a 50:50 dilution of demon shine in a spray bottle also does a good job.

Yeah the fine bilt hammer is what I get, as it is great quality and value to be honest. I'd still always use a lube though for extra lubricity.... You don't need to use a detail spray as lube, just a diluted shampoo in a spray bottle

i will get the bilt hamber next time, i think they have that on ebay too. I will also look into the duragloss stuff too. How often should i be claying and waxing?

Claying in general is around a couple of times a year to be safe like what Joe said, but it can be more frequent depending on where the car is parked and what's in the air.... Say if you parked your car near a station and went to work on the train every day, then the fallout in that area would be greater than say if you parked it in a multi storey... After you have washed and dried the car it should feel really smooth and slick, if it doesn't or you can actually hear a sound from your 'stroke' then you have contaminants on your paint and it clay time ;)

Waxing, everyone is different.... Most will last around 3 months+ but the actual beading and wet look can diminish after less than a month. I generally wax at least every month on mine (usually after every wash to be honest) but your car will be protected for around 3 months with the correct wash.... Plus you can get shampoos to top up your wax (with carnauba in them)

thanks very much for all your advice. I really wish i had a car port to avoid washing it in the sun as obviously thats when most people want to do it. I use the demon shine alot and for the money its brilliant, if i cant be bothered to do a full polish and wax just whip out the old demon shine. I have 2 spare megs clay bars at the moment but will get the bilt hammer stuff once they have gone. As far as the dodo juice products go, where is best to get them from, any websites? i will have a look at the 2 you mentioned. Have you any thoughts or opinions on the megs (gold) luxury shampoo stuff, as ive been tempted to get this? Also while im in the process of bombarding you with questions, what can you recomend for cleaning the glass, will normal domestic stuff be ok?

Hi mate, i recently blew a fair wedge buying a load of megs products, from the clay detailing kit and metal polish to the carnauba wax and tyre gel. So far i have been really impressed with the results of each one although i thought the metal polish was pretty crap. Anyway, a couple of questions id like to ask. 1 - is a lambs wool mitt the best thing for washing with? 2 - whats a good (cheapish) non-acidic wheel cleaner? and can you suggest a methodic order in which to do a full detail excluding engine bay?
Thankyou

Joe's already posted a process, so I'll just add a few bits I do....

Wheels, if there's any built up brake dust that you can't shift, have a look at iron x, as it comes into contact with any brake dust it bleeds purple, so you can pin point every bit on your wheel that's contaminated and agitate as required...

You can use that on your whole car as well before claying, it was funny when I got my van as it turned the whole thing from white to purple!

If you have a snow foam gun, when you need some more snow, get magifoam or chem guys touchless wash (not touchless but the best snows out there at the moment for cleaning) If not, do as Joe suggests and add a splash of APC to aid the snowfoam to clean before touching the car.... I use G101 and active xl, I've got loads, so if you want a bit sent to you, give me a shout, it is the best traffic film remover out there....
After I've snowed, left to dwell and then rinsed, I then re snow as it helps the mitt slide really well when your on the shampoo stage, also helping the car to stay wet (water marks) while your doing it. Using the 2 bucket method, always start at the top and work down, cleaning your mitt in the rinse bucket after each panel. I go in straight lines as the wind would travel over your car, rather than circular motions, as this has less chance of creating any swirl marks if there is anything lodged in your mitt....

Polishing by hand or pre wax cleansing, have a look at lime prime (contains abrasives similar to SRP) but also has glazing properties, one bonus is no dusting which SRP unfortunately does tend to do (Plus a bloody nightmare on any plastics)
Not dissing SRP, it's very popular..... Lime prime lite, that has no abrasives in it, which is perfect if you've got a perfectly machined monster and just want to cleanse as a perfect prep before a fresh layer of wax (or three)
Others are, chemical guys ez creme, primo amigo, britemax black max, and blackhole by poorboys, all have filling abilities like SRP, but are less fussy and glaze at the same time as cleaning. SRP is quite good by machine though, but not everyone has one....
I would use lime prime in every case, but if it's warm and/or sunny, choose any of the others! It dries out too quick and smears ;)

Thanks very much mate, Im not fortunate enough to have a machine so everything is done by hand (good for the arms though). I use the 2 bucket method and just use a normal karcher power hose. Can i get a snow foam attachment for it do you think, or do i fill the small reservoirs attached to it with a foaming product? I have a small amount of TFR but in all honesty im not sure what im best using it on, can it be used on any part of the car?

All of your advice has been taken on board and im sure i will see a difference next time i do a detail. Possibly tomorrow if the weather is nice. As i said i have loads of megs stuff at the moment so i will have to use that up before spending money on anything else. Im going to stop using the turlte wax nano shampoo as i believe its actually pretty crap stuff. Think i may go and get the megs shampoo tomorrow or see if i can buy the dodo juice from anywhere. Another daft question but does the temperature of the water make any difference? i tend to use quite hot water!

thanks very much for all your advice. I really wish i had a car port to avoid washing it in the sun as obviously thats when most people want to do it. I use the demon shine alot and for the money its brilliant, if i cant be bothered to do a full polish and wax just whip out the old demon shine. I have 2 spare megs clay bars at the moment but will get the bilt hammer stuff once they have gone. As far as the dodo juice products go, where is best to get them from, any websites? i will have a look at the 2 you mentioned. Have you any thoughts or opinions on the megs (gold) luxury shampoo stuff, as ive been tempted to get this? Also while im in the process of bombarding you with questions, what can you recomend for cleaning the glass, will normal domestic stuff be ok?

Don't worry at all on the questions, I like to help....
Dodo juice, whereabouts are you situated? As I can get stuff at a discount through buying so much stuff from various places, online, shinearama, waxamomo and I4detailing, all really good and top service.

Always try n wash your car when it's cloudy :) Then run around with the demon shine 50:50, spritz all over and then dry.... Gives lovely spotless results...
Megs gold, I think it's a good cleaning shampoo but can leave residue on the paint..... No biggie if your just washing, but can interfere with wax bonding correctly if your gonna wax afterwards... .

For glass I use clearly menthol by dodo, but there's a lot of good ones out there. IPA (isopropyl alcohol) is also a good choice and you can dilute it down, IPA is in a lot of glass cleaners.
Try your domestic stuff though and see how you get on.... Window waffle cloths as well make life a lot easier.

i take it your a proffesional valeter then? Im in cheshire mate, a town called macclefield.

I need to get some more devil shine, i dont normally dilute it as its so cheap, think i pay about £8 for a big bottle of it.

Any discounts on any products would be excellent mate if you can manage it.

Thanks very much mate, Im not fortunate enough to have a machine so everything is done by hand (good for the arms though). I use the 2 bucket method and just use a normal karcher power hose. Can i get a snow foam attachment for it do you think, or do i fill the small reservoirs attached to it with a foaming product? I have a small amount of TFR but in all honesty im not sure what im best using it on, can it be used on any part of the car?

All of your advice has been taken on board and im sure i will see a difference next time i do a detail. Possibly tomorrow if the weather is nice. As i said i have loads of megs stuff at the moment so i will have to use that up before spending money on anything else. Im going to stop using the turlte wax nano shampoo as i believe its actually pretty crap stuff. Think i may go and get the megs shampoo tomorrow or see if i can buy the dodo juice from anywhere. Another daft question but does the temperature of the water make any difference? i tend to use quite hot water!

In all honesty, get a snow foam gun for your karcher, the reservoir won't do it, it will only slightly foam shampoo etc, but not to the extent of a snow foam lance. They are all about the same price and all the same quality really....
You can use tfr on the whole car, just don't let it dry out else it can leave marks.... I only tend to use it either when I'm doing a full detail or the car's really dirty.... TfR's strip wax, so only use it when your actually gonna put some more protection on the paint.... (Or if you want to strip ready for fresh layers)
Hot water is best with shampoo, it doesn't work as well with cold water ;)

i take it your a proffesional valeter then? Im in cheshire mate, a town called macclefield.

I need to get some more devil shine, i dont normally dilute it as its so cheap, think i pay about £8 for a big bottle of it.

Any discounts on any products would be excellent mate if you can manage it.

I prefer pro detailer, rather than valeter ha ha! Yep, that's my job..... On the 'devil shine', asda and such like always have it on offer 2 for 1....

I'll have to do a group buy on dodo stuff when I can, as I've just become a dodo DAD (dodo authorised detailer) but this enables me to get products at a discount and I have no problems in looking after the forum ;)

Back