• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

dfj's Sunday idea: magnets. ;)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Following on from R20190's thread about Spoon Sports magnetic sump bolts - which got no replies - I have thought of my Sunday afternoon idea whilst I was sat on my throne.

How about gaffer-taping a small magnet - say out of a broken hard drive - onto the oil filter or to the bottom of the sump?

Now, my questions are:

1. How hot does the bottom of the engine get as my Power Duck Tape will start to melt at 60C - verified by me with a thermocouple and a turbo-lighter.

2. I may not tape my experimental magnet onto my HAMP oil filter as this may disrupt the thingy-me-bob that regulates oil pressure. Would taping my magnet on the bottom of the sump body be safe? Are there any moving parts in that area that I should worry about?

3. Would taping a magnet onto the HAMP oil filter be safe anyway?

I'm hoping there is a small flat area near the sumpbolt that I can tape the magnet to.

Any answers and advice would be greatly recieved before I go and magnetise the whole engine. :D

Or I could just do that... :lol:

But my service is not due until March 2007 now and changing bolts would mean new oil too.

I fancy an experiment of some sorts. :D

Jay, by attaching a magnet to the CTR you may dissrupt the energy flow around the Warp Coils - this in turn would lead to a Plasma leak and possible Powerplant destruction. :shock: :smt018

Even worse you could interupt level 1 Proton Stabilizers and cause unreversible Human Mutation.

Best get an officially recognised magnetic device as mentioned by the Dottster. :wink:

Ahh poo..

I've spent all of today tuning the plasma injectors and remapping the field dynamics of the warp coil using an advanced version of Biot-Savarts Law.

2eb44c68463fd51710a615192af1ee91.png

Where:

q is electric charge, (coulombs)
v is velocity of the electric charge q in meters per second
B is the magnetic field (teslas)

All I had left to do was to calculate how much gaffer-tape I needed to secure the magnet.

Human mutation would certainly be a worry with beautiful genetics like mine :p I had not calculated the sub-atomic impact that my experiment would have... :?

Maybe I'll wait and buy new bolts come service time. :lol:

Further thinking when seated upon the Throne required too.

I allready posted this on another thread and got called a skank :p

But yer you can just gaffer tape a strong magnet to the bottom of a oil filter and this will work just as well :)

What are you going on about gaffer tape for? Just get yourself some of those magnetic cabinet door catches from B&Q and screw them into the bottom of the sump with a couple of self-tappers. Job done. :lol:

Evs said:
What are you going on about gaffer tape for? Just get yourself some of those magnetic cabinet door catches from B&Q and screw them into the bottom of the sump with a couple of self-tappers. Job done. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll note that I did not suggest screwing them into the oil filter, because the casing is too thin. These things need careful thought, you know... :lol:

Peter Pan said:
I allready posted this on another thread and got called a skank :p

But yer you can just gaffer tape a strong magnet to the bottom of a oil filter and this will work just as well :)

But when you come to swap your oil you can't remove the plug with any metallic elements on, as they are on the bottom of the sump... hence the design of the Toda baffled sump.

I have no idea if this is a serious thread or not, but no you can't use gaffer tape on the sump, it'll get too hot, the oil can get to 100deg plus no problems and therefore the sump isn't going to be less than 60deg.

It was a partial serious thread Hasnic as I've managed to get hold of a really strong but little rare earth magnet.

However, thank you for answering one of my questions about the sump temperature as I thought it may bit a bit cooler than other parts of the engine. But then thinking about it, a 40C difference between the top and bottom of the engine block is quite a stress in the materials so to have the sump (internally) at over 100C is a realistic conclusion.

Back to the Thinking Throne for me..

It was a partial serious thread Hasnic as I've managed to get hold of a really strong but little rare earth magnet.

However, thank you for answering one of my questions about the sump temperature as I thought it may bit a bit cooler than other parts of the engine. But then thinking about it, a 40C difference between the top and bottom of the engine block is quite a stress in the materials so to have the sump (internally) at over 100C is a realistic conclusion.

Put it onto the Oil filter like I have said :) seriously you can put a magnet onto the base of the oil filter, and this will work and draw particles to it, when you change oil you dump the filter anyway retrieve magnet and there you go :)

Peter Pan said:

Put it onto the Oil filter like I have said :) seriously you can put a magnet onto the base of the oil filter, and this will work and draw particles to it, when you change oil you dump the filter anyway retrieve magnet and there you go :)

And then a lump of swarf in the oil filter is going to reduce flow through the oil filter anyway IMO.

Personally I wouldn't do it.

And then a lump of swarf in the oil filter is going to reduce flow through the oil filter anyway IMO.

To be serious if the swarf is as big as a lump and will impede oil flow in the filter, to be fair you already got problems, as where did it come from ?

It's better stuck in the filter, where it's supposed to be that's the idea of the filter, than swimming round your engine to be honest, it's only a trick that I heard some of the D1 guys and other people are doing.

Peter Pan said:

To be serious if the swarf is as big as a lump and will impede oil flow in the filter, to be fair you already got problems, as where did it come from ?

It's better stuck in the filter, where it's supposed to be that's the idea of the filter, than swimming round your engine to be honest, it's only a trick that I heard some of the D1 guys and other people are doing.

TBH i would rather just stump up the cash for a magnetic sump plug and remove the swarf. And lump, don't take it literally, but even on a healthy engine you will get swarf floating around and i'd rather it stuck to a sump plug than in one place on an oil filter.

Hang on a minute...

Surely a magnetic sump plug works better cos its at the bottom of the engine so heavier particles that make it to the sump sink and are attracted to it .

otherwise if you dont want to wait for your next service, just buy the magnetic plug from unit 8 and wait for a very cold morning. then just take the old plug out, stick something in the hole (finger, wine cork, etc), then quickly put the new plug back in...might be a little messy i dunno!

Back