• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Diagnose this

Good luck with this. My guess would have been big-end bearing and/or thrust bearing.

When sitting at idle, does pressing the clutch pedal alter the revs?

Good luck with this. My guess would have been big-end bearing and/or thrust bearing.

When sitting at idle, does pressing the clutch pedal alter the revs?

Nah thrust bearing noise is totally different, and constant. Had one go on the Ep1 so I know what its like, sounded like a supercharger whine in 1st and 2nd. EU8 is audible but only during idle. The Ev1 is dead silent, clutch in or out.
Tried to wiggle the crank and rods after removing the pump, no movement in anything, i knew it wasnt a knocking rod.

Have you guys seen this before? Took a while to get back to it, but today removed the cam tower...covers or whatever theyre called, and theyre all scored, 1 to 5.
Cannot be felt with fingernail so its pretty shallow scoring, but glad i pursuit this as it couldve gotten worse.

Continued to remove Vtec solenoid assembly and Vtc solenoid. Was expecting them to be clean and they were. Not as much as a particle of anything on the filter screens, or metal shavings. Vtc solenoid filter was removed 2 weeks ago and was also clean. Used a mirror to look inside all 3 holes, clean.

Poured oil down the Vtc feed galleys on #1 cam tower and it drained nice and fast.

Blasted compressed air at 18 (eighteen) bars through all available galleys, the contraption will dump 15 liters of air in 2 seconds, massive pressure and massive flow, it wouldve ripped through the mother of blockages but other than standing oil spraying everywhere, nothing else came out.

I dont think there is a blockage. Not the faintest sign of one. Pump is fine.........compression is good on all cylinders. I also have a hydraulic pressure test pump that goes to 40 bars, i could pump oil through it nice and slow or practically fill a 30 liter cylinder with something (not oil, maybe white spirit then dump it all at 20-30 bars through the oil filter hole, it should be enough to at least clear all blockages and also shoot the cylinder head through the bonnet, cause i had enough of this shii

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an update, despite my best efforts i could not find any blockage inside the block or the head, or at least the tinyest evidence of a blockage. Solvent poured down the holes where it enters the cams, drains quickly and without colour change through the filter hole. Nothing solid came through either when blasted with very high pressure. Altough pump clearances are within specs, I must be missing something, as can only fault the pump at this stage. So Im buting a new one and go from there.

When I replaced my cams I don't remember any scoring on the caps or the cams. So I'd say that's an issue.
The cams look fairly corroded. Had the car been sitting for a long time in the past? I've seen it where cars don't run for a long time, corrosion damages the case hardening on cams and they wear out very quickly.

When I replaced my cams I don't remember any scoring on the caps or the cams. So I'd say that's an issue.
The cams look fairly corroded. Had the car been sitting for a long time in the past? I've seen it where cars don't run for a long time, corrosion damages the case hardening on cams and they wear out very quickly.

Its not corrosion, just oil staining. From using mineral oil, looks like that everywhere all the way to the pump.
Car hasnt sat, each mot cert has an average of 10k miles travelled each year. The guy i bought it from had it since 2007 when it was 2 years old.
Probably has been quoted £1000+ for repairs, and of course he sold it instead. He was not a petrolhead, one service receipt shows an oil change, lightbulb change and windscreen washer liquid topup all for £192. When I saw it I nearly choked, and the rest of the receipts are equally ridiculous.

What bothers me is that I cant find a definite cause for the lack of sufficient oil to the cams. Its mostly shooting in the dark. If the body and interior would not be absolutely pristine, the thing wouldve been scrapped a month ago. the cam lobes are fine, no pitting or galling, and Im just wandering how the f, when it was running almost dry.

Help

Hi not sure where to post this but my temp gauge dont work was wondering if any one can help ive changed sensor

Im in the process of removing the cylinder head, theres only the exhaust manif that i cant remove cause stripped one heatshield bolt and have to buy some extractor tomorrow. With camshafts and timing chain cover all removed, still found no evidence of any obstruction. Everything I undo, oil poures out. Rockers look really good, move freely, locking pins snap out easily and cam followers have no abnormal wear and rotate freely. Cam lobes are ok. No sticky or burnt valves or anything suspicios like that. Hopefully tomorrow the head comes off and I find some awesome blockage to explain everything.

Or you've been paranoid this whole time. :D

Looking at the cams on the k20 with engine running, they are dry, and cam towers have slight scoring and the engine sounds like a diesel. Hows that being paranoid mate?

Plus looking at the cam on the D16 with engine running, its coated in oil along its whole lenght.

Re-measured clearances on the pump, theyre dead on with clearances for a new pump. Far far from service limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked oil pressure figures?
Another thing to check is the oil pressure relief valve. Possibly located in the oil pump? Not sure on these. But if it's stuck it could be your issue of low oil pressure at low rpm.

Have you checked oil pressure figures?
Another thing to check is the oil pressure relief valve. Possibly located in the oil pump? Not sure on these. But if it's stuck it could be your issue of low oil pressure at low rpm.

Thanks mate. Was also thinking oil pump prv, but seemed fine. However, removed the spring and piston from the K20A2 pump I bought on Ebay, added 2 small washers and installed it in my pump. The piston on the A3 had visible wear marks, sign that it was opening and closing a lot. The piston in the A2 pump was unmarked.
I could not find any blockage. Even bought a 5mm camera off ebay to inspect inside the block and cylinder head. Nada. So I've done the cam tower 5 oiling mod and cancelled the oil supply through cam tower 2.

Back