• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Disabling car? theft concerns.

Hello everyone. I am considering a ctr purchase but am concerned slightly about theft. I live in east london, its not too bad, but its rough and scummy in parts I live in top floor flat and will park on the street where its quite busy and always people about. Im not sure how high the crime rate for car thefts is here but Im wondering if its even worth getting the car now:

http://maps.met.police.uk/access.php?area=00BHGM&sort=rate

S
eems like a lot of cars stolen in such a small area? (update its actually a very big area, doh) :( Although nothing to compare it to, like 9 thefts! I really want one though! But this has put me off quite a lot just typing this post, as originally I was just gonna ask about disabling the car. Incidentally a guy round here has a pug 206 gti 08 plate, red, chavved up and thats never had any issues...It is quite close to the olympics btw, not that this makes any difference to policing other than having to listen to noise for 2 years!

So I was thinking of getting a steering lock, and also since I hardly ever use it some way of disabling the car? Or is this stupid idea?

ps I am possibly moving in the future but not for a while and I need car now either way (even though I dont use as a daily, its more a hobby car and to get out of london and go home etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Sure that most Type R's have an Imobiliser in the key, and alarms.

If your still worried you could get your own imobiliser fitted, should reduce your insurance too.

Disconnect the battery and the alarm is dead - and so will your insurance policy if the company finds out.

Fit a fuel cut-off switch if needs be. An upgraded alarm/immobiliser system with text alert would be nice if costs allow. A DiskLock (small size needed) will physically look after the steering wheel and prevent airbag theft.

CTRs used to get nicked alot, not just in east london but all round the UK. car thefts in general are very high in east london relative to the rest of the country but it's not that CTRs are specifically targetted. cars with high value and newish are more likely to get nicked and either stripped for parts or put into a container and shipped east. as the original ep3 is an older car now and values are lower they tend not to get nicked as much as they used to.

there is a big thing in east london at the moment of nicking bumpers, fog lights and mirrors off msport bmws. there are also gangs going round nicking catalytic converters off of cars.

thanks for the replies, good point about the alarm on the battery disconnect. Maybe a spark plug then? :p I guess they are not like they were, I guess at one stage it was like having an xr3 or something :)

I guess it depends on which part of east london, I dont live near the hotspots, although not a million miles away! london as you may or may not know (if you live here or whatever) is funny like that, one area is fine, down the street its like a hell hole, so Im not quiet near the worst areas, but close enough I guess.

Theres plenty of terrible modified bms round here mind, generally owned by gangsters with awful taste in mods.

I was thinking car security hasnt exactly gone a long way since cars began, sure we have imobilzers (which seem to stop nothing) and things like that, but we still use a traditional key entry system. It might be good if there was also a pin number to start the car or something more secure. Going a step further it could be like online banking, which letter is what of your favourite sheep etc. Although that would be a bit of a nightmarrrrrr (that was a sheep and a joke)

I was thinking car security hasnt exactly gone a long way since cars began, sure we have imobilzers (which seem to stop nothing) and things like that, but we still use a traditional key entry system. It might be good if there was also a pin number to start the car or something more secure. Going a step further it could be like online banking, which letter is what of your favourite sheep etc. Although that would be a bit of a nightmarrrrrr (that was a sheep and a joke)

to be quite honest i think you are worrying about nothing really, dont quote me on this but i believe all EP3's are fitted with a CAT1 alarm system and immobiliser as standard... this means that short of the car thieves actually getting your car keys there isnt much they are going to be able to do. its probably more likely that they will just smash a window in, nick your cd player and satnav and do one really :D heh but i def i dont think they are seen as valuable enough to be stolen to order anymore. for real piece of mind just go with a steering wheel lock.

P.S i dont know if youve changed many spark plugs but despite it not being a big job at all i definately wouldnt want to be doing it everytime i get use my car HAHA

HTH :)

to be quite honest i think you are worrying about nothing really, dont quote me on this but i believe all EP3's are fitted with a CAT1 alarm system and immobiliser as standard... this means that short of the car thieves actually getting your car keys there isnt much they are going to be able to do. its probably more likely that they will just smash a window in, nick your cd player and satnav and do one really :D heh but i def i dont think they are seen as valuable enough to be stolen to order anymore. for real piece of mind just go with a steering wheel lock.

P.S i dont know if youve changed many spark plugs but despite it not being a big job at all i definately wouldnt want to be doing it everytime i get use my car HAHA

HTH :)

haha yes youre right about the spark plugs, lol. I havent changed any as wondered about threading them.

When doing the insurance you can select a CAT1 or manufacturer, I wonder if selecting CAT1 lowers the insurance, but then you have to prove it to them. Ill try a quote with and without.

The reason Im concerned is basically Ill leave the car all day when Im at work and maybe not even drive it for a few weeks. I think youre right though, its not worth worrying about.

Nefor, wheel clamp sounds good in theory, but I just wonder if these days with people being what they are, they will probably see that and target it more just as they know you care about your car.

I think Ill just leave a plastic poo on the drivers seat.

there is a big thing in east london at the moment of nicking bumpers, fog lights and mirrors off msport bmws. there are also gangs going round nicking catalytic converters off of cars.

Couldn't help but read this in Frankie's voice rossy.

THERE GON BE A LOT OF GANGS OUT, AND THERE GONNA BE BAD BOYS, UGHMM...

GANGS. GONNA BE BAD BOYS OUT AND GANGS AND THEY'RE GONNA BE... BAD GANGS...

WATCH YOUR FOG LIGHTS MIRRORS BADGES. BAD BOYS ARE... BE STEALING CATS. N GANGS N STUFF... MIRRORS N FOG LIGHTS N BADGES

Clifford Black Jax.

http://www.clifford.co.uk/Products/Accessories.aspx

I was reading this and thought I'd put it on here, seems like a good deterrent is a private number plate, as it makes it easier to spot. Good point, makes sense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/aug/15/ford-ka-least-stolen-car

A
lso apparently no one wants to steal a ford ka as they have no street cred, yet in the same article a toyota yaris is most stolen car so that is a right contradiction. You can read a million articles and even though they are supposed to be covering britain (same date) they all say different cars completely!!

I'm in a good area, but as soon as I buy my next car, I'll spend good money on security.

Great! This seems pretty good, so you have to enter a PIN. Maybe its not that expensive either, not sure if you need a clifford alarm as well.

Think mine was about 250 fitted. No it works alongside the standard alarm/ immobiliser. It will annoy the hell out of you for the first few weeks as you will keep forgetting to put the code in. Good product though.

Back