• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do all springs rust?

I was messing about with the stoptechs tonight and I noticed the abp springs I have are rusted. I have had them about 2 years I think.

the red coating that covers the spring has came off in alot of places and the spring has rusted.

Does this happen to all springs over time, will it rust through completely and should I be thinking of changing?

I have an mot next week so Ill see what they say.

Im actually just using this as an excuse to justify some buddyclub coilys, but then again surely they will rust too.

Did you have them on the car for a similar period?

Also I wonder if due to the sh*tty weather up here mines have took more of a battering.

My springs are caked in a protective layer of shíte to either a.) stop them from rusting or b.) stop me from seeing any rust.

I will give them a scrub up when I clean the car next and report back.

salute_smiley.gif

I've not spotted any on my OEMs and I pressure wash the arches every month.

I had a good look under the car the other week whilst it was up on garage lifts and I did not see anything that concerned me.

My springs are caked in a protective layer of shíte to either a.) stop them from rusting or b.) stop me from seeing any rust.

I will give them a scrub up when I clean the car next and report back.

salute_smiley.gif

Yeah mines were coated in a rubber/plastic kinda coating.

Im thinking because they are so compressed that each coil has rubbed against each other and eventually started to wear.

Im thinking maybe its time to swtich, has to be buddyclub coilovers as they are the only decent make that will lower enough

surely all springs would rust if the coating has flaked off? its bare metal so couldnt see how they wouldnt if left unprotected.

Back