• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Do an oil change.

Trung

Banned
Anybody done an oil change by themselves?
What's the best way to remove the oil filter?
From above the engine or below it?
What oil filter wrench do you use?

Fire_2 said:
but if ya filter is stuck the chain oil wrench's tend to cut into the can = messy

try the rubber strap ones...

Kinky :lol:

Yeah any Strap-Wrench will get off the filter. Its messy enough trying to remove the filter anyway because of the amount of oil it contains.

it shouldnt be messy if u keep the filter upright...

oil filter must be clean to remove it by hand also other wise it just slips :?

Did mine from underneath recently, filter is quite small diameter so if you have big hands like me then not a problem to unscrew.

PhunkmasterD said:
where is the oil filter located???

As you look at the engine from the front of the car, it's located on the rear of the block, at the left hand side. I don't think you can see it with the standard manifold heatshield in place from the top.

You should be able to see it through the drivers front wheel, or from under the car.

little tip i learnt a while back, if you don't have the proper tool for removing the filter if it's really tight, get a bit of course sand paper to put in your hand to get a better grip works most times :D

Robbo said:
Anyone know where I can get some ramps that won't foul the front skirt?

Difficult one that Robbo. I can only think of jack and axle stands to get the car high enough on all four corners - with the stands - in order to get under it.

If you do, be careful when you do pull the oil plug as the pressure will push the oil stream out quite a way and it may miss your catch pan.

:D Wise words indeed. I was doing a change on the gf's Puma the other week, and completely missed the pan. BIG stain on the garage floor now.

The ramps I have only just cleared her car - I had to jack it up and then shove the ramps in under the wheels one-by-one before I drove it up.

Yeah, axle stands are probably the way to go, unless anyone else has any brainwaves?

Back