• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Does anyone else's engine produce a ticking noise?

Hi,

I've noticed recently that my engine seems to produce a rapid ticking noise which is louder when starting from cold than it is when warmed up. It seems to come from the passanger side of the engine, near the belt which you can only really hear when you are outside of the car. It is normally much louder when you lift the bonnet, but when the bonnet is closed it sound like it is coming directly from the front.

Is this the same on everyone else's car? Part of my thinks it may be standard engine noise (2008 model fn2 type r and done around 30k miles) but I'm surprised as it doesn't sound healthy. Saying that I've had a number of issues in the past with the car, namely the fly wheel and clutch, creaky dash, rattling windows, blocked window washers etc... Because of all of the faults/bugs I'm starting to lose faith and am suspicious of even the smallest issue.

If this is something that your car does then please do let me know or if it doesn't do you have any suggestions for what it might be?

Cheers,
Chris

K20 is a very tappity engine mate. Might be worth getting the valve clearences done if they've not been done yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Good to know that mine isn't the only one and cheers for the advice on the valve clearance. Is it common to need valve clearance with only 30k miles? How big a job do you reckon it is and do you think it will reduce the noise significantly? Do you know of anyone else on the forum who has had to have it done yet?

Check your service book, it should say how often it is to be done. I believe it's every other service, though I may be wrong. Most garages will charge 2 hours labour and it must be done on a stone cold engine. It isn't a big job at all, just time consuming if anything.

Every other service if it has done the mileage or every 25k miles if it doesn't.

Mine sounds like a diesel on tickover with my cams and valvetrain but the clearances are spot on.

Price to pay for Skunk2s :lol:

This vid shows the normal noise quite well at the start.

[video=youtube;HWpOHRZ1exU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWpOHRZ1exU&[/video]

+1 on getting your valve clearances done. Mine was so tippy I actually started to hate hearing it idle, got them done last week and the difference is unbelievable to be honest. My mate asked me if I'd put a different engine in when he heard it lol

I've had the same ticking sound coming from my type r I had my valve clearance done a little while ago and it's just developed that sound did you find out what was wrong with it ?

Back