• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Does my steering rack need to be replaced?

As above really... Not long had my ep3 but steering feels quite heavy and feels a bit ropey I.e. It fails to return fully to centre it will return to around the 2 o'clock position and will remain there. It's slightly worse when the wheel is turned right.

I know these cars where plagued by rack issues but I also know the steering is generally quite poor with the ep3 in terms of feel. So its just to see if there is an issue or not.

Cheers in advance.

Do the simple things first like checking the alignment, tyre pressures and possibly incorrectly fitted directional tyres.

Steering rack sliders don’t cause stiff issues.
As said by Loxy check the usual stuff. The steering never fully self centres on the EP3 but if it is stiff or if it feels like it’s sticking/binding then they do start to seize internally due to lack of grease and this in turn can put premature wear on the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steering rack sliders don’t cause stiff issues.
As said by Loxy check the usual stuff. The steering never fully self centres on the EP3 but if it is stiff or if it feels like it’s sticking/binding then they do start to seize internally due to lack of grease and this in turn can put premature wear on the motor.

As I said this is my first ep3, my daily is a 60 plate Ibiza and the steering in that is very light and it also has big balloon tyres so it could be that I'm just not used it etc as there is no sticking. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info guys. I think it may just be a case of me not being used to the feel yet and also having the the 'poor steering' reviews planted in my head already.

I thought I had similar issues but after changing the track rod ends, tie rods, drop links and then having a full geo it's felt better than ever.

Back