• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Droning sound

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here! this is my first post!

I've not long ago bought my Type R. I love it!

But when going about 70+ theres a weird drooning noise coming from the front somewhere?? very annoying!! :(

soon as i slow down though below say 60 it isnt there any more?

any one had the same problem??

Thanks alot

Chris.

i have this from the rear right when going around 40-50. found out its because there is a step in the tyre tread.

Could be the same, i thought it was a bearing at first but realised it wasn't because the sound wasn't always there.

I would have said tyres too...

Swap the backs with the fronts and see what happens.

It was quite common with the stock RE040's.

Are the Tyres the same make/tread pattern? I've had this in the past when the treads were mixed up.

The tyres were fitted when i bought it i've only had the car about 2 weeks.

The front tyres are a different make to the back

They are all on the correct way (rotation)

Droning sound?

check passenger seat for a mardy girlfriend who has got too comfortable after a year of going out.......

does it vibrate the car at all? could be the new tyres not balanced on the wheel correctly?? changing front wheels to the back should let you know if thats the problem or at least tie the problem to the wheels not the car being at fault

Yes, Ive had that same sound since I bought my type r, 50 mph the sound is there, 60mph virtually gone! still unsure what it could be but as the guys say on here tyres........... or bearings.............. but tyres the most likely cause. Strange things tyres are....... they make more noise than a strangled cat

if you rub your hands anti clock wise along the tyre tread and the tread hits your hands its stepped. This is what causes a noise on my ep3

After reading this thread, i decided to swap my bridgestones from the back, to the front and hey presto, the 'droning noise' is now coming from the front! Prior to doing this i did think that one of my rear wheel bearings was prematurely wearing out (car has only done 30K). To be honest, i can't wait for the Bridgestone's to wear out!

After reading this thread, i decided to swap my bridgestones from the back, to the front and hey presto, the 'droning noise' is now coming from the front! Prior to doing this i did think that one of my rear wheel bearings was prematurely wearing out (car has only done 30K). To be honest, i can't wait for the Bridgestone's to wear out!

Getting rid of the Bridgestones won't solve the problem. It's down to wheel alignment, I had the droning/stepped tread problem when my EP3 was 1 year old and was fixed under warrenty when one of the suspension arms was found to be faulty and replaced. Never happened again.

I had to have a 4 wheel alignment done on mine as the rears were both wearing on the inside. Was getting a lot of droning coming through the cabin which got really annoying when going down the motorway. Prob was down to the stepping, was all nice and quiet when i put some new tyres on and had the tracking done.

Getting rid of the Bridgestones won't solve the problem. It's down to wheel alignment, I had the droning/stepped tread problem when my EP3 was 1 year old and was fixed under warrenty when one of the suspension arms was found to be faulty and replaced. Never happened again.

I had four wheel alignment checked out when i had two new Yokohama's put on the front - a nice quiet tyre with plenty of grip :D. Alignment was all spot on.

I will check to see if i have a step in the tread though

I had to have a 4 wheel alignment done on mine as the rears were both wearing on the inside. Was getting a lot of droning coming through the cabin which got really annoying when going down the motorway. Prob was down to the stepping, was all nice and quiet when i put some new tyres on and had the tracking done.

i thought the rears have a slight negative camber? making the rears wear more inside

They may do but it looked like the wearing had been going on for a bit as was when I bought the car, and only noticed when I had the car jacked up on the back. :smt012
Though maybe from the inside of the tyres wearing, it may have changed the step on the tyre which caused the droning. I'm just saying as this was the problem I had with the droning and changing the tyres and having the alignment done sorted it.

Back