• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 E10 Fuel launch in September

Currently I run a Honda Civic Type R 2015 fk2.
I have read that in September the new E10 fuel will be put on sale. I checked online re comparability with Honda cars and it says all Honda except diesel cars from 2011 are compatible. However the fk2 on the fuel cap says 95ron. Yet E10 is rated as 94 Ron. Currently 95 Ron has 5%ethanol and E10 has 10%. 95ron fuel will be still available and my car runs absolutely fine on e5 95 Ron so have no intention of using E10 fuel. Also this could effect all other type R's as as I understand they run on 95ron minimum. What's your thoughts? Regards Fred.

Last edited:
Doesnt really answer my question guys. As I say I've always used 95ron as recommended by Honda and what it says on the fuel filler cap. I've read about using higher octane ratings for the fk2/fk8 but always says the difference is negligible. Unless you have actually run your car first on 95ron and then higher rated fuel and noted the difference. But unless Honda States it will be absolutely fine to use E10 fuel I plan to stick to 95 Ron which is e5. E5 is 5% ethanol and E10 is 10% ethanol. Some people are having problems with 10% ethanol as it's destroying rubber components. Either way if I continue to use 95ron there will probably be a price increase in its cost. Also The new E10 fuel is not as efficient as as pure petrol or 95ron so you will end up using more. I'm sure there will be some input from Honda before September on the subject.Clarification is what's needed. Thanks for your replies Regards Fred

E10 eating rubber I thought mainly affected older/classic cars where the internal components were rubber and not the more synthetic compounds used in more modern vehicles. I could be wrong.

It will mainly affect older cars I’m led to believe. In my experience, I have genuinely got better mileage from using premium fuel over the standard, this will only be exacerbated by the reduction in efficiency of the E10 fuel. As I understand it, you won’t be able to buy 95 Ron any longer, E10 is due to replace it as the standard fuel and not run alongside it which makes the choice to use premium a no brainer. Unfortunately we’re being led down the wrong rabbit hole again when it comes to fuels and transportation but hey ho.

Hi Alex-B, Ive read today online that e5 95ron will be sold alongside the new e10 as well as 98 ron. If the ctr fk2 and fk8 plus all other type r's are designed to run on 95 ron and e10 is 94 ron. I am very reluctant to use 94 ron unless Honda actually state it is safe. Whats the situation If you go ahead and put e10 94 ron in your fk2 and fk8 and then you have problems with the engine. You might be looking at an expensive job on the engine. Hopefully as I say Honda will get involved and give us clarification as to the e10 will do no damage to our Type r's. Regards Fred.

Further to my last post, I have just read an article by Autocar on the e10 subject and says that from September e10 will be sold at petrol stations and once e10 is sold at a station it will not sell e5 fuel. It goes on to say that as all cars will not be compatable with e10 fuel and e5 will still continue being sold at petrol stations.
Regards Fred.

Hmm, Most european stations sell E10 at 95RON. -Having a quick search, 94RON E10 seems to be an Australian phenomenon? - The vast majority of petrol cars in the EU are designed for 95 RON, so there would be more concern if it were the case here.

Ethanol is an octane booster (Pure ethanol is 100RON), so the addition of ethanol usually boosts RON numbers:- There is a slightly lower calorific content, which may manifest as ~1-2MPG loss (Based on my use in an NA 1.4 in Europe), but ethanol is also an excellent detergent (for the same reason it eats away classic fuel systems), so you'll get that benefit as well.

Regarding recommended octane, there is a positive benefit on the FK2 / FK8 to running higher RON fuels, as they will allow the engine to knock and then dial back slightly - Working continuously, so if you're running 95 you will pull timing more frequently than 99. - The unavailability of (European standard) 99RON is the reason that US cars are downtuned to 310BHP.

I've just read that the information on what fuel can and can't be used should be in your vehicle's handbook. So hopefully it will be and we can relax. In any case we've got until September.As the old saying goes. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Regards Fred.

Can I just clarify something sort of related to this topic, so is that why the USA Type-R's (the new FK8 models) have 306 BHP as the States dont have 98 / 99RON (is this statement true)?

Where as the UK spec (for example) claim 316 BHP as we have access to 98 / 99RON fuel?

I was under the impression that the 2020+ FK8 HAD to run 98 RON fuel (minimum), is that just so it has 316BHP?

Can I just clarify something sort of related to this topic, so is that why the USA Type-R's (the new FK8 models) have 306 BHP as the States dont have 98 / 99RON (is this statement true)?

Sort of. The US doesn't use RON ratings which is why the numbers are lower. Premium fuel is available but far less widely so they are tuned for 91 PON which is the equivalent to 95 RON in the UK.

Hi All Type R Owners. I have just read the following information online @ goodwood.com. Regarding the E5 replacement fuel ,E10 that the government are rolling out in September 2021.
Many carburetted cars,or those that previously ran on unleaded fuel,we included in this warning. While some turbocharged or performance vehicles require a minimum octane rating of 95 or 98 and so should not be refuelled with E10.
While the department of transport has now confirmed that E5 fuels will remain available .It is as yet unknown whether they will command a premium. End of what I've read. I suppose as usual where there's money to be made E5 will command a premium price. Hopefully I will be wrong. So E10 is 91 Ron and no good for the Fk2 and fk8. Also all previous type R's as said above if they require a min octane rating of 95 or 98 also should not be refuelled with E10.
Regards Fred.

Big thread here already.....

Apologies Daz, it was myself who started the original Thread. However there seemed as nothing was definate about the fk2 and fk8 running on E10 fuel. I even contacted Honda GB and asked the question. Via email as in these times it's difficult to speak to someone. They came back to me and said your local Honda Dealership are trained in the technical aspects of the Honda cars and I should contact them. Which I did again via email. I am still waiting for a reply. They don't seem bothered. So when I read online the answer to my and I'm sure lots of fk2 and fk8 and owners of other type R's question, rather than tag my findings on to the existing thread I thought It important to draw owners attention to The E10 fuel and that's why i started a new Thread with a Bold Title. They probably will get merged. I'm glad I read the information and felt it very important to pass the information on to fellow members.
Regards Fred.

I have just read online that e5 petrol will still be on sale after the 1st of September when e10 rolls out and that e5 petrol which will be 95/97 Ron classed as super unleaded commanding a higher price.This will be available until 2026 .My concern is what fuel do we use in 2026 if e5 will cease to be available?and we can't use e10 as it's destructible to the engine. I hope it all gets sorted b4 2026 so we can continue enjoying our fk2/fk8's. Your thoughts please?
Regards Fred.

Back