• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 E10 Fuel launch in September

Current super unleaded is not going anywhere. Just swallow the extra cost per litre and fill up on the good stuff.

All this scare mongering is so annoying. Performance petrol cars have nothing to worry about EVER. Siemens and Porsche have committed to providing synthetic petrol for anyone who will want it globally for the next 50 plus years. Synthetic petrol has been around since the 1940's so it's just an evolution of old ww2 tech

I'm 41 and will be able to drive petrol powered cars till I die. I'm about to buy a mustang for this very reason. However will we want to? With electric versions of shite cars (peugeot estates) doing 0-60 in 4.5 seconds imagine what a electric type r will be like?

Hi! We've had E10 95RON in Hungary for about 2 years now, and we came across the same things to worry about. As we say it here, the smoke was bigger, than the flame. Yes, some older cars, even some european models from the early to mid 90's are affected, but any car or motorcycle after that should have no trouble. I use E10 95RON in my EP3, and my Daytona 675 as well, which has a compression ratio of 12,65:1, so the fuel can definately take it. As some have stated, ethanol has a higher RON value than petrol, so E10 95RON could be called 95+ even, the higher the ethanol ratio, the higher the RON value. In this regard, it's even better for high pressure, modern turbo engines, than regaular 95RON petrol. Caloric values are indeed a bit lower, but to be honest I haven't seen a noticable drop in fuel economy.

All in all, the way this is presented makes a huge fuss, when in reality it's absolutely nothing to worry about, you won't even notice it. Even the EP3 has a knock sensor, and with the super smart ECUs of FK2s and FK8s, the change is absolutely nothing to worry about. Higher octane value, worse fuel economy, but the difference is so miniscule (if we look at the numbers, pure ethanol and petrol have very similar values to begin with, and we are adding 5% more ethanol), that no average person will notice it. Maybe some fanatics will, who calculate their fuel economy down to 3 digits, but noone else.

We still have 100RON premium petrol, which is E5 (even 95RON premium E5 in a few places), so if someone is worried, they can use those. But in the end, the only noticable change will be, that it says E10 instead of E5 on the pump.

Last edited:
The fk2 and fk8 ECU will adjust fueling parameters to make stock bhp / torque anyway regardless of fuel. So performance will remain the same even if mpg is affected.

From what I've read online e10 fuel is rated between 91 and 94 Ron . The fk2 and fk8 are direct fuel injection turbo engines and the fk2 is rated at 95 Ron and the fk8 rated higher so will not run on e10 or you will get engine damage. So when the new e10 comes out will be replacing premium unleaded and the now premium unleaded will be reclassified as super unleaded with 97/98Ron which will cost more per litre as it has always done. I read that in the UK super unleaded will be sold for the next 5 years before being discontinued , that's what's worrying me. So what do we do when this happens if it does???. If that did happen ,it would render all fk2 and fk8's useless along with all other makes of dfi turbo cars across the country. We need clarification from the UK government and petrol manufacturers as to what I have read is true or not. I bought my fk2 as it's quite rare and love the engine and the performance,handling and driver involvement. I hopefully can continue enjoying it way beyond the next 5 years. Having said all that I will be 73 and probably the oldest driver of a fk2 Lol!

How could they sell it as 95RON, if it's rated only 91-94RON? Of course, I am in a different country, but 2 years of experience shows, that there is absolutely nothing to worry about. As we wrote above, ethanol has a higher octane value, than petrol. The more you add, the higher the value goes. Most modern turbo petrol engines require 95RON, so why would they sell something, that is not suitable for those cars? It would kill the market, and most new cars. It's totally counter intuitive. As I said, if E10 can take 12,65:1 compression, it's definately not 91RON. My mate's DC2, my EP3, and many other Type Rs use 95RON E10, have been for 2 years in fact, I haven't heard about any problem, and I frequent the local Type R community.

What's your source on this 91-94 RON data? I really am curious now, and online information is absolute horse crap in many cases.

Hi! We've had E10 95RON in Hungary for about 2 years now, and we came across the same things to worry about. As we say it here, the smoke was bigger, than the flame. Yes, some older cars, even some european models from the early to mid 90's are affected, but any car or motorcycle after that should have no trouble. I use E10 95RON in my EP3, and my Daytona 675 as well, which has a compression ratio of 12,65:1, so the fuel can definately take it. As some have stated, ethanol has a higher RON value than petrol, so E10 95RON could be called 95+ even, the higher the ethanol ratio, the higher the RON value. In this regard, it's even better for high pressure, modern turbo engines, than regaular 95RON petrol. Caloric values are indeed a bit lower, but to be honest I haven't seen a noticable drop in fuel economy.

All in all, the way this is presented makes a huge fuss, when in reality it's absolutely nothing to worry about, you won't even notice it. Even the EP3 has a knock sensor, and with the super smart ECUs of FK2s and FK8s, the change is absolutely nothing to worry about. Higher octane value, worse fuel economy, but the difference is so miniscule (if we look at the numbers, pure ethanol and petrol have very similar values to begin with, and we are adding 5% more ethanol), that no average person will notice it. Maybe some fanatics will, who calculate their fuel economy down to 3 digits, but noone else.

We still have 100RON premium petrol, which is E5 (even 95RON premium E5 in a few places), so if someone is worried, they can use those. But in the end, the only noticable change will be, that it says E10 instead of E5 on the pump.

I read with great interest. However Honda states all its cars are compatible with e10 fuel with pgm-f1 which is Honda's proprietary fuel injection system for port engines. However the fk2 and fk8 are direct fuel injection so are not compatible. Also e10 fuel Ron is 91-94 Ron and cars rated with 95 Ron upwards cannot run on a lower Ron as will cause damage to the engine. Regards Fred.

How could they sell it as 95RON, if it's rated only 91-94RON? Of course, I am in a different country, but 2 years of experience shows, that there is absolutely nothing to worry about. As we wrote above, ethanol has a higher octane value, than petrol. The more you add, the higher the value goes. Most modern turbo petrol engines require 95RON, so why would they sell something, that is not suitable for those cars? It would kill the market, and most new cars. It's totally counter intuitive. As I said, if E10 can take 12,65:1 compression, it's definately not 91RON. My mate's DC2, my EP3, and many other Type Rs use 95RON E10, have been for 2 years in fact, I haven't heard about any problem, and I frequent the local Type R community.

What's your source on this 91-94 RON data? I really am curious now, and online information is absolute horse crap in many cases.
In the UK now at the pumps premium unleaded fuel is the standard fuel with 5% ethanol and is 95 Ron fact, so how can petrol with 10% which is 5% more ethanol e10 be rated at 95 Ron?

In the UK now at the pumps premium unleaded fuel is the standard fuel with 5% ethanol and is 95 Ron fact, so how can petrol with 10% which is 5% more ethanol e10 be rated at 95 Ron?
Hi I've just read online that e10 is not s substitute for premium unleaded petrol and if your car requires 95 or 98 Ron then e10 should not be used. If you look online it comes up time and time again.
I have always put what the manufacturer has said and what's on the fuel filler flap on the car mine says 95 Ron and that's what I need to put in. Or if the new e5 is 97 Ron I'll have to put that in and pay more. If my Honda is rated min 95 Ron and I can put in 95 97 or 98 with no problems, but what I can't do is run the car on fuel rated less than 95 Ron as engine damage will occur.
Regards Fred.

SUPER UNLEADED IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. IT WILL OUTLIVE A FAIR NUMBER OF US. it will however become more and more expensive. Petrol power will go the same way as horse power. Horses became play things . It will be the same for petrol cars. There is nothing to worry about.

SUPER UNLEADED IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. IT WILL OUTLIVE A FAIR NUMBER OF US. it will however become more and more expensive. Petrol power will go the same way as horse power. Horses became play things . It will be the same for petrol cars. There is nothing to worry about.

100%. The only thing that will be happening long term is that anything where fuel (petrol is used) the prices will slowly start to increase and will continue to do so. It's another way of slowly making people transition over, make it harder to run the cars but not impossible, however running them against the green initiative will come at a price where you'll be paying more (whether that be additional tax or just higher prices with the current tax rate applied).

I am currently carless and trying to decide what to do, I have been offered an Integra DC2 race car (so I would need a trailer to take it too and from tracks etc) but annoyingly to do so I would need a normal(ish) car for towing it, so I am trying to decide is it worth it or would I be better off buying an Exige S and using that as the track car until such a time I feel it right to give up on it all lol.

Part of me wants a Daily and the exige s whereas the other part wants the race car and a normal tow car, I just hate the idea that trackdays will also start to increase again as they have over the last 10 years I've seen :-(

So this is quite amusing in my handbook. It states for 2.0l engines without rear fog light research octane number 95 or higher. For 2.0 l engines with a fog light use petrol up to E10, research octane number 95 or higher. So if you turn the fog light on it must alter the engine mapping to allow the use of E10. What a cool feature
This info is on page 31.
won’t affect me as I’ve always used v power and will continue to do so.

so how can petrol with 10% which is 5% more ethanol e10 be rated at 95 Ron?
Easy. Adding more ethanol increases the RON value/octane number. I did a short read on this, and saw an australian example. There, they offer E10 94RON. It's made by mixing 91RON petrol and ethanol. So 10% alcohol increases the octane number quite a bit.

I filled up my FK8 today. Pic of the inside of my fuelling cover:

Only thing I can think of with the fog light vs non fog light thing is that Japanese cars were always mapped for higher octane so I was told when I had my DC5 always go optimax or Tesco 99, nothing lower.
Cars sold in US and UK will be mapped for our fuel.
Yes our cars can run on 95 but pay the extra few £ per fill and get the better stuff! Fifth gear did a rolling road test on this years ago. It will add roughly 10hp vs 95 RON on a 300hp car. More than an air box people will happily spend hundreds on with a standard map!
It’s just cleaner too meaning a cleaner better performing engine long term

Also to support the above, this is why FK8’s in USA only show 306 BHP, due to the lack of filling stations selling 99 RON fuel (so I read). Always wondered why USA stats said 306 and ROW showed 316 BHP.

So looking at the fuel cap photo, if you can find a filling station that sells 95RON E10, then that’s fine?

So looking at the fuel cap photo, if you can find a filling station that sells 95RON E10, then that’s fine?
I think so. Here, in Hungry the vast majority of FK8s have been running on 95RON E10, to no surprise, because it says on the fuel cap, that it's ok. I did quite a bit of reading on FK8 fueling myself, and according to the label, it's understandable. 98 is perfect. You can of course go above 98RON, but it isn't worth it, really. Power will top out at 98RON, and to get the benefits from anything beyond 98, the car would have to be mapped.

If you look at the flex fuel kits the US owners are running they experiment with much larger percentages of ethanol mix added to their “91 octane” which I believe equates to 95 RON? Either way it doesn’t appear an issue for our engines

Easy. Adding more ethanol increases the RON value/octane number. I did a short read on this, and saw an australian example. There, they offer E10 94RON. It's made by mixing 91RON petrol and ethanol. So 10% alcohol increases the octane number quite a bit.
I can't understand why every time I do a Google search and ask the question,in the UK what Ron is the new incoming E10 and everytime I get the answer 94Ron I did get 91 -94 a few times but after reading 91 is in Australia. As you've said E10 is blended from petrol and ethanol but I still can't understand why my answer is E10 in the UK is 94 Ron . So why is the government saying it's 95ron. Unless that 10% ethanol added to unleaded petrol =94Ron and by adding more would have an effect on our cars. All the goodwood.com put out a warning to all high performance cars dfi turbo currently running on 95Ron or more not to refill with E10 fuel as it will destruct the engine and to continue using e5, and they go on to say you can put petrol in a car rated above the min Ron value required with no problem,but you can never use petrol with a Ron value lower than the minimum recommended on the fuel filler flap.
I'm sure this will be cleared up before the 1st of September when E10 is introduced.
Regards Fred.

Only thing I can think of with the fog light vs non fog light thing is that Japanese cars were always mapped for higher octane so I was told when I had my DC5 always go optimax or Tesco 99, nothing lower.
Yes our cars can run on 95 but pay the extra few £ per fill and get the better stuff! Fifth gear did a rolling road test on this years ago. It will add roughly 10hp vs 95 RON on a 300hp car. More than an air box people will happily spend hundreds on with a standard map!

Hi I looked in my type r's handbook yesterday and it says my car is compatible with E10 fuel but the Ron value must be min 95Ron. No less. This is where the problem arises to me is that if after searching a lot online for the Ron rating of E10 and it keeps saying 94 Ron. Yet running a honda below min 95Ron will be destructive to the engine. It needs clarification. If in doubt keep with e5 fuel.
Regards Fred.

Back