• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ECU Problem?

Right I have an issue where my ABS light keeps coming on, initially the ABS sensor was physically faulty, this was swapped with a brand new one from Honda. Fitted by a garage I trust as well.

It only intermittently comes on, not when I go over bumps or anything like that, sometimes on all day, sometimes on for 10 minutes. The garage cleared it and read the fault code etc. Just comes back a while later.

They had it in again today and had it off the ground, aparrently the car is reading as though the back wheels are moving at like 14mph...?

They now reckon it's an ECU problem and will need to be reconditioned, they don't deal with stuff like that so I doubt they're trying to rip me off.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If I get the ECU reconditioned, where can I get it done? Can I just buy another ecu? I have a JDM EP3 so can use the DC5 one (I think?)

Really stuck on this one so would appreciate some input from you guys!

Thanks a lot

Never heard of the ECU being "reconditioned", ever.

It'll be faulty install of the sensor, faulty sensor or dirty sensor.

Closest thing I've heard is you could try pulling the battery (or fuse 6 in the engine bay on UK EP3s) for half an hour to reset the ECU, but it's certainly not reconditioning it though. Worth a try?

Do you mean the ABS ECU? I think it has a control unit of some sort, but it'll more than likely be a wheel sensor as Loxy states. What is the fault code?

I will give the ecu reset a go tomorrow morning, just d/c the battery should do it yea?

Im not too sure on ecu repairs, if it is indeed possible probably more feasible to replace it?

Thanks for the replies, more in a few hours than I got in a few days on CTRO!

I would clarify if the chap means ABS ECU based on what Chris said. I would have called it the ABS module but different people call them different things.

I'm not sure a DC5 ECU will work on a JDM EP3. It's the same engine yes, but the wiring loom will be completely different.

If you do end up needing a new ECU try Integrastella. He can get pretty much any part for DC5s at a price, so I would expect he would be able to source a JDM EP3 ECU.

I seriously would get the sensor double and triple checked before you start looking down the route of replacing the ECU though.

I did an ECU reset, cleared the light for a few minutes but came back down the road. Probably going to email TGM and see what they think, I'm sure they've seen nearly every problem with a K20 possible!

I did yea, it locks up when the light is on. I also know this because I bumped into a mate of mine...literally.

ABS works OK when the light is off.

I've emailed TGM to see if they could suggest anything, obviously they'll need it in to be sure though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back