• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EK9 advice

Hi all,

I'm after some advice for my brother who is thinking of buying an EK9.

If anyone has any tips on what to look out for and any draw backs to owning an imported type r with regard parts and service that would be much appretiated.

I'm sure he won't go far wrong but its nice to go in prepared when it comes to performance cars

Thanks in advance Mat

I would go to a reputable import company e.g TorqueGT,200BHPCARS, Duncan of FastJapCars or EK9.ORG have a cars for sale section. You need to take someone who knows a thing or two about jap cars or cars in general. Check for missing gear knobs, saggy seat bolsters, burn marks, signs of use on track and what after market mods it has got fitted.

Thanks for that.

Would i be correct to think the worn seat bolsters can be repaired or is a complete new seat the only option?

And what would you say is a fair price to pay for a good example?

Thanks for that.

Would i be correct to think the worn seat bolsters can be repaired or is a complete new seat the only option?

And what would you say is a fair price to pay for a good example?

the worn seat bolsters can be repaired by replacing the foam, capitalseating supply them.

pre-facelift any where from £4-5.5k
facelift from £6-7K

Hi all,

I'm after some advice for my brother who is thinking of buying an EK9.

If anyone has any tips on what to look out for and any draw backs to owning an imported type r with regard parts and service that would be much appretiated.

I'm sure he won't go far wrong but its nice to go in prepared when it comes to performance cars

Thanks in advance Mat

Did your brother end up buying one? Just want to know what they are like as im currently looking for one too!!

:D

I owned an ek9 an I must say I rate it more than the ep3 to be fair. It took me 12months to find what I class as a rite 1. The thing I found with 99% of them were they'd been painted. I must of seen 20 or 30 that had been sprayed and badly. In the end it was like we were going to these car spots just to rip there cars to bits. Finally found a nice one in the most unlikeliest of spots (importer in keighley) there were 5 in a row. 3 had accident damage one was a dog and the final one couldnt fault. The rocker cover hadnt blistered, the bolts the hold the wings on hadnt been touched with a spanner or oiled(???) inner wings were in place, heat sheild on manifold was there, bolsters and seats were mint, gear knob was there, parcelshelf to plus other things cant be arsed listing everything. There are so many rough and dodgy ek9's out there its a minefield just dont buy the 1st you thinks nice not without viewing it with someone who can spot accident damage and cover ups. I got told all sorts when buying my ek9. Personally Id have another and if I was going to get one I wouldnt buy one that had been through an auction house and graded. That might be personal prefference but it's somet i got told when buying the 1st ek9

Back