• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Management Light came on this morning

Car was driving fine yesterday, however I did drive 20+ miles with the fuel light on yesterday evening, coming home from Sharon's parents. I had every intention of filling up first thing this morning as the petrol station is only a couple of miles away.

Went to start the car and it really stuggled before cutting out. Tried again and it started up ok but the EML light is now on.

The car spent last night on a very slight incline, so my thoughts are that there was hardly any fuel in the tank and the incline meant that it had pooled at the back of the tank. Therefore when I started it up this morning, there was little or no fuel at the drain hole meaning the fuel pump couldn't supply the engine, causing the stall.

I have since filled up the car and it's running fine, but the EML is still on. I'm guessing because the car had problems starting due to lack of fuel, this has triggered the light and it remains on until Honda switch it off. Is this the case as I've not encountered this before personally? If so, I really don't think I need to see Honda for them to switch the EML off if I can do it myself. Is it just a case of disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a bit?

Regards

Tony

tone, on beemers and fords which are the only cars i have direct experience with fault codes (i have a fault reader but unfortunately not for honda) disconnecting the battery for half an hour will not remove EML, im not sure where it logs the codes and why the battery wouldn't remove it, it just doesn't. fyi battery removal does not reset EML for brake wear sensors and airbag fault sensors if the DC5 has them.

my first thoughts are not to worry and ask around on here to find an auto electrician you can give a score to. they can rock up with their machine read the code which you should make a note of incase it is not related to the fuel being low. then he can clear and you can start the car, hopefully the fault will be gone. rag it up and down the road then plug in the fault reader immediately, hopefully no fault logged.

i can wax lyrical about fault readers and codes but try that first see how you get on. if you have any probs give me a bell.

I had the EML a few weeks ago, Honda reckoned it was due to driving with hardly any fuel in it, its no biggy just needs resetting.

I've a diagram somewhere of how to reset it, standby I'll dig it out

There's a fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet for the EML just pull it out for 15 sec's and put it back that will reset the EML and hopefully sort the problem. If it comes back take it to a garage you trust and see what they say. Hope this gets sorted, I've had a similar problem myself.

Might just be a coincidence that the light came on while having very little fuel, but the EML will also come on if there is a fault with the CAT Tone.

Hopefully its something small like the fuel issue as having to find a decent DC5 CAT might be tricky/expensive.

Might just be a coincidence that the light came on while having very little fuel, but the EML will also come on if there is a fault with the CAT Tone.

Hopefully its something small like the fuel issue as having to find a decent DC5 CAT might be tricky/expensive.

Would it be possible for the ecu to mistake a faulty o2 sensor if the engine is not getting enough fuel? I guess if I reset the eml and it doesn't come on again I will know.

Would it be possible for the ecu to mistake a faulty o2 sensor if the engine is not getting enough fuel? I guess if I reset the eml and it doesn't come on again I will know.

Yeah, a good run would sort it out if it was that problem. I'd be reluctant to gove it a hooning though, just in case its something else more serious.

Fill up with V Power, disconnet the battery for half an hour, this will reset the ECU. Then go for a decent drive and if the EML light stays off that will be it sorted.

If it comes back on I'd get down to Honda mate.

I would say you need a new 02 sensor

it appears not. Reset the EML in the car park at work and the car had been fine since with no hint of the light coming on again.

I looked through the fault codes earlier and there are several fuel related ones including the engine running lean which would suggest the problem given the circumstances.

Obviously if the light comes on again, I will take it to Honda, but in the meantime, everything is gravy.

You can self diagnose the code with a paperclip.

I can't find the link on how to do it at the moment though. :?

Back