• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine Management Light On - Possible mods?

Had my 2005 EP3 for about a month now and everything has been great. About three weeks back I fitted an ITG Maxogen induction kit and a Sportek B Pipe. Everything else on the car is totally standard. Car has been running fine with no problems until yesterday.

My wife took the car to work which is about a 15 mile round trip and when she got home, she said the engine management light has come on. There is about a quarter of fuel in the car and the oil is fine. I reset the ECU by removing fuse 6, waiting 10 seconds, re-fitted and this turned the light out.

I took the car for a drive this morning and after about 2 minutes the light came back on. I did the paper clip self diagnose test as posted in the sticky and the light did not do any series of flashes. It does flash once regardless if the paper clip is on or not so I think this flash is normal procedure. So there seems to be no fault codes either.

Do you think that the mods I have on the car has caused the engine light to come on despite them being fitted about 3 weeks ago?

Should I had done the idle control procedure after fitting the mods to my car?

If the previous owner had used 97RON fuel (Don't know this, just speculating) and I am now using 95RON fuel, do you think this can cause the engine light to come on?

Any tips or advice really appreciated.

Just to add that after resetting again, by the time I had driven to the top of my road, the engine management light came on again :(

RON changes are not to worry about if your ECU is standard. It is designed to account for that.

Could it just be the sensor that clips into the induction pipe?

Thanks guys.

Stoo, this is what happens. When I put the keys in to start the car normally, turning it to position 2, the EML lights up yellow, goes out for a split second, lights back up and then I turn to position 3 and the cars fires up, then the EML goes now. With the paper clip self test, the EML does exactly the same sequence although I don't go ahead and start the car.

I have since done the idle control procedure and driven for 12 miles and so far, touch wood, no EML light coming on.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure if its the same on all hondas but my mates ATR eml light would come on randomly and he found his problem was his egr valve needed cleaning as it would come on randomly but the car would run fine, fingers crossed you cured it thou chap

Sadly, my EML came on again today. Just did a 240 mile round trip and it came on and stayed on for most of the journey so I think its time to get it checked out at TGM :(

One thing though, the car does feel like its down on power a little bit but more at the top rather than low and mid band revs. VTEC is still kicking in but it does feel subdued a little. I've only had the car about a month so I am getting used to it still but the general feeling is after driving my Clio 172 and Scooby WRX (which I still have) that the EP3 Tyre R feels slow which surely is not right. It feels like a standard 2.0L car rather than a sporty hothatch.

Another question, would having an ITG Maxogen Induction and Spotek B Pipe without a remap be an issue? With these subtle mods, should it be essential that I get a K100 remap done or is it only essential if you have a de-cat etc?

the general feeling is after driving my Clio 172 and Scooby WRX (which I still have) that the EP3 Tyre R feels slow which surely is not right. It feels like a standard 2.0L car rather than a sporty hothatch.
I'm guessing what you're noticing is the lack of torque, not sure on the Clio but the scooby is turbo'ed and has loads of torque. Type R's don't have as much torque so won't throw you back in the seat like a turbo'ed car will.

Another question, would having an ITG Maxogen Induction and Spotek B Pipe without a remap be an issue? With these subtle mods, should it be essential that I get a K100 remap done or is it only essential if you have a de-cat etc?
Those mods should be fine with a standard ecu, you might have damaged the sensor on the intake when fitting the ITG.

I'm guessing what you're noticing is the lack of torque, not sure on the Clio but the scooby is turbo'ed and has loads of torque. Type R's don't have as much torque so won't throw you back in the seat like a turbo'ed car will.

Yeah, there is no doubt that my Scooby is bloody quick and you do get the kick from the turbo for sure but I would had thought the Tyre R compared to the Clio 172 would be as lively . Like I say, it could be I need to get used to it more but since the EML light has come on, it does seem a little under-powered.

Those mods should be fine with a standard ecu, you might have damaged the sensor on the intake when fitting the ITG.

Thank you, that is what I thought and had hoped.

Reset the ECU the other day which turned the EML out but it came on again a day later. So decided today I would take it to TGM and get it booked in. Before I did that, I thought I would just see if the exhaust was blowing or if I could see anything else. The new Sportex B Pipe did occasionally scrape on a speed bump near my house so thought I would just have a look and see if I could see any gasses or water escaping. Started the car and the ECU light has now gone off strangely. Yesterday it was on and today it is now off. Could not see any gasses or water escaping so I will see how it goes and if it comes back on then take to TGM.

Oh, well it would sense if thats the reason why mine has come on. However lots here have them with no problem so not sure to be honest. Who told you this information?

It doesn't throw the eml fitting another B-pipe.

The only conceivable way it could is if you damage the secondary O2 sensor during installation or it was on it's way out in the first place and rattling it about fitting the b-pipe to the cat end has sent it over the edge.

Have you had the code read yet?

The sensible money is on a code from the secondary O2, i.e. it's gone faulty...

I agree it's probably a faulty sensor somewhere, I would say either on the induction or the O2 sensor, but these would usually throw up a code I would have thought. I would get it on a diagnostic and go from there.

Yeah will get the code checked but not in any rush. Took the car out tonight and gave it a spirited drive and the EML decided to go out :)

I suppose it depends on how your car is feeling, mine doesn't get on with speed bumps or pot holes:D

My Sportex B Pipes scrapes on some speed bumps so I wonder if this is a factor or contributing to the EML
light coming on.

Maybe it just knocked the sensor about a bit it sounds like one of the sensors are on there way out or faulty to me.

Back