• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine seized?? Need advice

Ok so I need some advice, my ep3 had developed an issue an is struggling to start. I changed the drive belt I changed about 2days ago notice the idler pulley was noisy anyway new belt was fitted but now I've noticed a noise developing louder an louder then last night noise sound like a grinding coming from the drive belt area now the car slow start starts but doesn't fire just need some help

Sorry I'm using my iPhone on the train so was writing quick before my stop. Basically the car will not crank over I fear the engine may be seized but I'm unsure as I find it wierd an very random. As said I changed the drive belt 2days ago now the car made a grinding noise then as I parked up then engine cut off smoothly and now not starting but no warning lights on the dash just the normal lights

If the engine is seized, It wouldn't turn over at all.

if its turning but just not firing then it's something else?

Sounds stupid but did you remove the plugs/ht leads? Could you have put them back on in the wrong order if so?

Oh no worries it was just a thought, I've done that before :lol: hope you get it sorted bud there's a wealth of knowledge on here so you should get an answer ;)

Sounds stupid but did you remove the plugs/ht leads? Could you have put them back on in the wrong order if so?

There aren't any HT leads babes. There are coil packs. But you can't get them in the wrong place.

Ahh right Thx Bbz. It was just a thought tbh. I managed it on my old Mini, felt like a right idiot when my old man swapped two of them over after I'd been faffing for about two hours.

So can anyone recommend any issues with the drive belt that would cause this? I've also noticed that there are what seem to be metal shavings by the belt like something is grinding

Shavings come from a knackered pulley. The bearing starts kicking them out. A shot pulley will grind and make a noise.

Do you have charge in the battery? The belt on its own won't stop the engine running, it's only driving ancillaries like the water pump and alternator, which are obviously needed but the engine should still start.

Back