• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ep3 4wd conversion

hi guys

I am currently looking at taking my ep3 off the road to do stuff to. so last night I was thinking how cool it would be if I converted to 4wd ?

I've seen in some forums the mention of using crv gearbox and diffs but there not the strongest.
I know I will have to relocate or modify the fuel tank and exhaust as a start, the way i was thinking of doing it is to mount up a s2000 rear subframe complete with diff, wishbones ect, custom propshaft, the only other thing im stuck on is what gearbox to use.

do you think its worth it or not ?

Crazy idea, but sometimes crazy is good.

Legend gearbox would be stronger as they have 296bhp out of the box, though it is auto only. CR-V isn't proper 4wd and works off some sort of inertia clutch mechanism. The Legend gearbox would likely mean someway of managing it though as it is one of the SH-AWD efforts.

Christ knows how you'd get an S2000 rear subframe on an EP3 either but I guess with enough money anything is possible.

Unless your going mental and building a K20 twin, just buy a Scooby or Evo for 4x4.

Not worth the hassle, will completely mess up the balance of the car.

If you got time, money and patients then go for it. It's always good to see something different.

Looked at evos and stuff but I can't part with the civic and that engine . I should have said that I am also doing engine mods. SO what had me thinking of us how awsome would a 300-400bhp 4wd civic be ?

Twin engines would be the simplest way dude, that way you'd have near 400bhp. Only issue is the gearbox system, if you mount both engines in the right direction you could just knock up a simple twin shift lever system like some of the Twin Hyabusa minis use. Would be an insane project, but if you've got the time, the money and the inclination, then go for it man.

It would be cheaper to buy an old Evo 5 and use that as a weekend warrior.
Then you could keep your civic and have an AWD

As said the cost involved wouldn't make it worthwhile
its not just physically fitting it all in but making it handle properly when done, your only real choice is the crv gearbox which isn't ideal !

better option would be rwd with an f20 but again a car that was made rwd will be cheaper and better

:eek:

**** me sideways, that is one mental build!

Mid engine would be the only way to go with an awd EP3, and that is a massive amount of work. The weight balance of the car with a front engine layout would dictate minimal/variable power to the rear, particularly if you plan on running a good amount of power, so a bit pointless really. The power losses through a homebuilt awd system would be significant, more than a k20 will give you NA, so an engine swap too...

The (absurdly talented) guy behind the build above admits that it's more of an engineering project than a committed car build. This is the kind of person you need to be to consider a project like this.

Frightingly clever I know.
Theres also a V8 lexus powered Espace with NOS kicking about there too.

The more I think about it...... a 4wd civic would be well...interesting.

Go for it lol

Heh, that's my friend Chris. He's nuts. He was a ford guy before he met me :p

I've not read the thread but he's doing a W12 conversion at the moment... Got bored of blowing up turbo'd honda engines.

Back