• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Car Battery

As many of you know, the standard battery in the EP3 is absolute pants and I've pretty much had enough of it.

So I nipped down to my local halfords (yes I know they're a rip off but stay with me...) having read a few posts about the battery coding on CTRO and here.

Halfords book says code for 2.0L Civic 2001-on is HB057. Now, having read about the problems with the terminals being the other way around, I checked my car and sure enough this is not correct. The correct one in Halfords is actually HB053. Both batteries are identical except that the terminals are opposite.

Problem is this:

HB057 = £46
HB053 = £72! :eek:

Now I know what you're thinking, why go to halfrauds knowing they are usually overpriced. Reason is because A) Their battery prices are actually not far off prices I've been quoted elsewhere B) Halford batteries are among the best around for the price (according to an Autoexpress Review).

Anyway, been calling around all morning looking for a reasonably priced but decent battery and I've been told by pretty much everyone I've called that the 057 and 053 batteries are known differently and they struggled to find the correct one for my car... :confused:

So my questions are:

1. What is a good battery for the EP3, recommendations please!
2. Cheapest place to get it (I'm in N.London)
3. What is the code for it?

Cheers :smt023

This may be a stupid question, but why is the standrad battery rubbish?

No problems with mine:confused: :confused:

This may be a stupid question, but why is the standrad battery rubbish?

No problems with mine:confused: :confused:

Have a search around on both forums and you'll see that a lot people have had flat batteries after leaving their cars for a short period of time. I've personally had this happen on me on a few occasions already. And once its been flat once, it is never the same even when fully charged after.

I once pulled up into a side road having got lost :oops: and had the heater, map light and radio on whilst the engine was off for a brief moment until I found my route and a quick call to the missus and the engine wouldn't start. :evil:

I've had no problems, had my radio on for over an hour the other week whilst i was polishing the car. started perfectly

I've had problems in the past, but that is the price you pay for having electrics on without the motor on.

i have left my radio and amp on for hours while i have cleaned the car and then just put in the garage and left for a week, never had any problems but will say i checked the battery water levels at 20k 3 years old and found the plates where nearly exposed so i topped the battery up.

If the battery runs dry you shorten the life and the charge / energy storage will be less

i have left my radio and amp on for hours while i have cleaned the car and then just put in the garage and left for a week, never had any problems but will say i checked the battery water levels at 20k 3 years old and found the plates where nearly exposed so i topped the battery up.

If the battery runs dry you shorten the life and the charge / energy storage will be less

I looked at my old man stupid when he said have you checked the water levels in your battery???

Little did I know:rolleyes:

so did you check? being an electrician did this one day when cleaning the car on thinking about the age of the battery and was quite shocked how low it was

That was on my old car about 4 years ago, come to think about though I aint looked at my CTR one.

Better take a look.

Battery n00b here. Where do I look and when you say water levels, do you mean tap water?

Battery n00b here. Where do I look and when you say water levels, do you mean tap water?

Na, its *special* water I think, I want to say ironised(sp), but not sure.

On my old one there were 3 large screws in the top, you just unscrewed and topped up the levels.

On my old one there were 3 large screws in the top, you just unscrewed and topped up the levels.

distilled water (but most people use tap water) and only refill to the marker dont over fill

had this exact problem last week. went out to start the car and nothing, bumped it, took it out a small drive and it was fine. happened 3 times and its not happened again. mines is a honda battery.

I check my water level quite often but it hardly ever needs topping up. I bought a massive bottle of distilled water from halfords ages ago and its still pretty much full. There are some batteries that don't need to be maintained though but I think the honda one does.

Anyway, has anyone actually gone out and replaced their battery with a non-honda battery? If so, how much did you pay and do you recommend it? Oh and where did you get it from?

Anyway, has anyone actually gone out and replaced their battery with a non-honda battery? If so, how much did you pay and do you recommend it? Oh and where did you get it from?
Buy the Spoon one. It's a steal at £225

i have left my car for almost four weeks, and started first time full bright lights, the works, if you use tap water it should be boiled and let to cool 1st to remove minerals

A new Honda battery would probably be ok, and shouldn't be too expensive. I got a genuine Honda ATR battery from Honda dealer for £46.

Otherwise I highly rate the Bosch silver batteries!

De-ionised water matey! Basically purified water that removes conductive elements.

Back