• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 changing speakers?

iv'e bought 4 speakers and 4 connectors for the speakers, they are 5.25" and im planning on changing them on saturday as the stock speakers are a disgrace.. i havent bought any brackets for them though as i was hoping i could remove the old ones from their support and slide the new ones in, would this work to anyone that has tried this?

Stock front speakers have integrated plastic mounts. I used wooden rings in the front (went to 6.5"), but mounted direct in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b94e8dc582c7dc5d464d96a7d533a924.jpg

Hi mate. I used a JVC speaker upgrade kit which included adaptor leads, speakers and plastic mounts for the front - something like this: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civi...646393?hash=item2efb6bdf79:g:qIUAAOSw5cNYfpIv

With this kit it was easy but you will definitely need new speaker mounting rings either way. You can get them on their own on eBay for a bout £10. Rear speakers don’t need anything should screw straight in direct replacement.

I also sourced some cheap sound deadening on eBay as you basically have zero on the EP3. It adds a little weight but was well worth it when you have the doorcard off already

How much better do the JVC speakers sound over stock? I was looking at that kit but didn't know if it would be better getting bigger speakers in the front.

They will be much better, done basically the same in mine but not going to give anything special

If you want better audio through the fronts, upgrade to a better quality component speaker and run it through an amp

How much better do the JVC speakers sound over stock? I was looking at that kit but didn't know if it would be better getting bigger speakers in the front.

A lot better. I really do recommend the sound deadening sticky panels as it will help a lot as well. Without going as far as fitting amps, modifying door cards and that these alone make a good improvement.

Original speakers are pretty terrible plus half their sound dies through the door and against road noise. As a pretty much direct replacement for a cheap price I was really happy with them

Anything is an upgrade from those shocking things. It's the only thing I didn't understand, you'd think with it being the Type R you'd get the best they had to offer. Even a potato would be an improvement over OEM.

I highly recommend a Focal kit like the PC165, it's only a bit more than most lower end kit.

I am decently happy about the performance from them, considering it's in a noisy car and relatively low cost compared to my home speakers or headphones.

The PC165 is larger than the stock cone, might need to drill in to the metal. But other than that, it was pretty much a straight swap.

The PC165 is larger than the stock cone, might need to drill in to the metal. But other than that, it was pretty much a straight swap.

I am undertaking audio upgrade on mine as well and hoping to do it without breaking the bank. So those PC165's you recommended, I would just need 4 of those and nothing else ? (don't mind drilling into metal to fit).

As for the stereo, I was thinking SONY MEX-6001BD ? You can get them for around £100 new or £60-70 used.

Also what sound deadening did you go for?

Thanks mate

That's definitely a lot more than I am willing to do :D

Probably costs more than a good set of coilies and I need that more :p

I am undertaking audio upgrade on mine as well and hoping to do it without breaking the bank. So those PC165's you recommended, I would just need 4 of those and nothing else ? (don't mind drilling into metal to fit).

As for the stereo, I was thinking SONY MEX-6001BD ? You can get them for around £100 new or £60-70 used.

Also what sound deadening did you go for?

Thanks mate

Sorry to bump this again but as per my post above, I do like the look of the PC165s so before I order a set, how straight forward is the swap into the existing system? Ideally replacing all 4 speakers would be great, but I cba with amps, rather just invest in a good single din stereo and run them off that.

Also for sound deadening, I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Is that good enough?

Cheers

Even just changing the HU on the OEM speakers is an improvement. I did originally just put some Focal's in the doors and used an adaptor so it all just clipped in and screw the speaker to that.

Any sound deadening will do, you could even use some flashing tape from B&Q to be fair. Just put some heat on it as you apply it as it'll make life a little easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even just changing the HU on the OEM speakers is an improvement. I did originally just put some Focal's in the doors and used an adaptor so it all just clipped in and screw the speaker to that.

Any sound deadening will do, you could even use some flashing tape from B&Q to be fair. Just put some heat on it as you apply it as it'll make life a little easier.

That would be a direct fitment if you don't want to drill into the metal. I have fitted a bigger set, the PC165 by just mounting them directly on the metal.

I have just ordered the same setup as Kryz above so will report on how they go once I have it all installed and the sound deadening put in .

Where did you get the speaker adaptor? I can't find a 6.5" one

Back