• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Disable pushing clutch for startup

Yeah, one of those European DC5's eh :rolleyes:.

My DC5 was originally imported by Dicksons of Perth. Would be interesting to know if they are responsible for the modification, or whether it was done in Japan? Anyone else on here with a DC5 from Dicksons who can shed any light?

I've just had a thought. My DC5 has the push start button as part of the add on pack (a lot of the common low end entry ones don't :p). Perhaps the clutch thing was disabled as a safety feature to stop you pushing the button and stalking the car, causing it to lurch forward and into the object in front of it.

Regardless, I prefer it as is :lol:

I have to depress the clutch in my JDM S2000 to start it with the starter button.

Annoying in the respect of not being able to start the car from outside, to warm it up like.

It's not too easy getting in and out of a lowered S2000, so I have to fall in, depress the clutch and climb out again to do whatever, clear the screen say.

I like the sound of this wire cutting business.

IMO starting the car with the clutch depressed is bad practice, whilst it reduces wear on the starter motor it puts pressure on the crank thrust bearings and then starts from a dead stop with that pressure applied. The same reason you should not rev your engine with the clutch depressed.

Starter motor = much cheaper than an engine strip & re-build.

^Can it really be as bad as you're suggesting; if it's the only way to start a JDM car (by the looks of it)?

See, I do this when I realised it was a JDM thing.

IMO starting the car with the clutch depressed is bad practice, whilst it reduces wear on the starter motor it puts pressure on the crank thrust bearings and then starts from a dead stop with that pressure applied. The same reason you should not rev your engine with the clutch depressed.

Starter motor = much cheaper than an engine strip & re-build.

There IS force applied to the crank journal bearings when ever depressing the clutch but not nearly enough to cause a problem even on a cold standing start, where the bearings before depressing the clutch have been sitting over night in oil and the amount of time between depressing the clutch to the bearing making a dry contact point on the shell is less than a second. plus the crank shells are phosphor bronze bronze plated which is a lubricating metal.

revving with the clutch depressed - shifting up at 8k ?

Back