• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Discs

I helped my brother fit Mintex pads to his Clio Sport a few months ago, we had to spend 2-3 minutes on each pad with an angle grinder to get them to fit, the metal backing was miles to big. Never again.
Probably a renault issue.

You can find them on Ebay but it's usually from The A to Z car parts company. You might be best finding one of them or phoning them. I think this is the one.

http://www.atozmotorspares.co.uk/

I'm buying a box next week & my mate will fit them at JCT 600 when he's done his shift. I'll do a little review.

Edit- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....10&ih=012&category=10386&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Only £131 pounds!!! :O

Cheers for that, it's an ace price. In the old watched items list now! Give me a pm when you post the review up if you will please? Matt.

Cheers for that, it's an ace price. In the old watched items list now! Give me a pm when you post the review up if you will please? Matt.
N.P It would be nice to fit some braided stainless hoses while it's on the ramp. Money's tight ,your're looking at about £70 for them. Don't forget to replace the brake fluid with a good brand like Dotz.

Drilled discs are a complete waste of money on road going cars. Drilling is to aid cooling when they are used hard. By this i mean serious circuit racing/tarmac rallying. If you need that amount of cooling for your discs you should be thinking about proper ducting etc. Back in the old days brakes pads used to create gas between the pad and the disc. Crossdrilling the discs helped the gasses to escape making sure the pad had full surface contact with the disc. This is not an issue with modern day pads. As mentioned above they are very prone to stress cracking around the holes so if you fancy buying new discs every year crack on. No pun intended.:)

Grooves are there to clean the brake pad and get rid of water. Alright if its raining all year round but even in the UK the majority of the time its dry. The grooves keep the brake pad clean and stops it glazing over from hard use. Also wears down the pads a lot quicker.

So basically std discs with decent pads etc are best for road use unless your racing about the back roads most of the time. If the car's going to be used on the track (not the strip) then grooved discs might be the way forward for you. If you still want better stopping power then go for a 4-pot setup. This will give you more surface clamping area and thus more effective breaking as long as you don't lock it up. Downside is most 4-pot kits use larger than std discs which add to unsprung weight.

As far as getting grooved and drilled discs for a road car goes, save your money and go get a couple of new baseball caps and a bigger sub.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on personal choice I guess, but I wouldn't say grooved or drilled ones look chavvy. Not quite the same as brembos or StopTechs but I like it if I'm honest. My mates E46 M3 came with drilled rotors as standard, although they do look massive in comparison to the CTR brakes.

I'm guessing most of the 'spirited' drivers on here do tend to get their brakes pretty hot - mine often give off a bit of a smell once I pull up on my drive. Defo getting hot enough to warrant a little extra cooling I'd say!

These guys are saying EBC are poo for a reason my friend...listen to them!
If you speak to a trader who knows what they are talking about they will say the same too...OEM with Ferrodo DS2500 or 2000 will be more than you ever wanted!
Or..you can buy these discs and then start a new thread in a few months about how the ebc discs have warped/cracked...the choice is yours...

I'm guessing most of the 'spirited' drivers on here do tend to get their brakes pretty hot - mine often give off a bit of a smell once I pull up on my drive. Defo getting hot enough to warrant a little extra cooling I'd say!

I was talking about serious use. Not 'spirited' driving. Vented discs are ample and the std wheels also give good cooling. The only benefit you'll get from crossdrilled discs is aesthetics if you're that way inclined. They won't improve your braking, they won't last as long and they cost more. No brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to the older wiser people on here. You can end up with alot more performance for even less paying out hard earned cash. The only brake mod I'll be doing with the mintex box kit is braided hoses with good brand braking fluid. & that's too much as I use car mostly for going to work & back.

Mintex discs are ok but the pads are *****. No bite once worn in and squeeks all the time.

There's nothing wrong with the standard honda discs and pads imo apart from the amount of brake dust they generate. If you want a bit more stopping power though, then its got to be the ferrodos no question. But for everyday driving and the odd spirited drive I'd stick with OEM.

Just bought Ferrodo pads all round. They are still in the box as i am getting them fitted in Feb with some other mods..

Been looking for some quality disks in the mean time and came across Brembo disks from AZ carparts. Think the price is around 250 pounds for back and front. They can customise them to your preferance. Drilled, grooved, what you like..

Think im going to order the whole set dimpled (To prevent cracking) and grooved.

Any thoughts?

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but how much do the OEM honda discs cost (both front and rear discs).
I could buy 4 brembo replacement discs for around 180£ but after reading many posts, I figuered the OEM's seem more or less the best rotors around...

I know I could give my honda dealer a call and ask for myself, but it's sunday and maybe some of you guys know an average price...

As for pads, ds2500 without any doubt after reading most of the posts found on this forum.

Also I'm thinking of buying HEL-steel braided hoses.
After googling around, I figuered HEL (almost half the price of the goodridge one's) is just the same as the goodridges and unlike the goodridge, they use stainless steel connections.

And another question, any recommendations for braking fluid (sporty street use)?

oem discs all round would probably be under £180
front ds2500's are around £90! but worth it
i use motul rbf600 dot4 brake fluid with braided hoses which will be more than enough for the sporty street use as you say.

Back