• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ep3 engine knocking.

Hi guys I've been on the forum for about 1 year now. This is my second post for a bit of help and advise and where do I begin?

Okay

I have an ep3 which was perfect had the timing chain tensioner and guides done a few thousand miles ago...

Last week I was on motorway and mid shifted from 5th to 2nd at about 70 to 80mph (stupid mistake) I drove it home but knew there's something up with it obviously because of my school boy error. No lights on dashboard. It now had a knocking sound which goes along the revs. The higher you rev the tapping sound is synced with the rpm.

Connected the machine to the ecu and error code came up along with engine over revved. Incorrect gear change.

I've had taken to garage. It's been opened and chain tensioner and guides have been checked. All good just the valves were adjusted and the knocking sound slightly faded. But it's still there and i can't tell where it's coming from

Much appericiated on your replies. I know I'm an idiot but what can it be guys. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've probably spun the big end shells. Get the sump off and have a look.

Thanks for your reply. I've shown a friend who's had many hondas and he said to me that it sounds like a valve has been bent..

He was sure it's not bottom end.. If it was would the car still be drivable ? As it stands now the car is pulling fine and going into vtec but it's just that rattle it's constant as a driver you know there's something wrong.

With that noise I wouldn't even be running the engine, let alone be driving it. Get it to a decent garage or get your tool kit out.

Could you recommend any around north west. I've shown stevie he said it sound ok but could always do with a second opinion. Thanks

Ye pal. He said it could be injectors. He said he can hear the sound of it tapping but couldn't identify what it was and said it's safe to drive. Shown another friend yesterday and he said it sounds like the tappets are noisey. If it was bottom end it wouldn't be drivable at all.

I would get it sorted asap mate. The longer you drive the worse its gonna get.
I would opt for a compression test ASAP to see if there wasnt valve to piston contact when you misshift.
Could be a slightly bent valve or maybe a spun bearing in the bottom end.
Seen quite a few ep3's that misshifted here in the garage and it goes from bent valves to ass worse as grenading a rod thru the block :(

After listening multiple times to your video i would opt for a compression test and leak down test mate so you can sort out in witch cilinder the sound is coming from...
I personally think its gonna be a valve/valves issue as bottom end bearing is more off a knocking sound and in the video it sound more like a valve rattle

Cheers for the reply.. UPDATE ive had a compression test done. It was done when the car was warm but it all seemed fine as the psi for each cylinder was within the green on gauge.

Also I've done a bit of research but can't seem to dig a bit deeper. Are the TAPPETS also known as Hydraulic lifters? If so and if these have been damaged what is the route of repair or replacing them ? Is it something that can be done ? Thank you to all who will reply .

Ye loxy ive taken it too him he kept it for a few days opened the head adjusted the valves and it did quite down a little .. but he said it can't be big end bearings because it wouldn't be drivable and said the it could possible be injectors maybe.. I've had a few people look at it and they narrowing it down to tappets.

If you had the valve clearances done at Grinspeed, that's what they adjust, the tappet to cam clearance.

If there was something wrong with them, Grinspeed were looking straight at them and would have noticed.

If you are unsure, take it back to them for another look.

Ye i am going to. I'm just worried it could be the bearings on there way out .. there's nothing else I can think of. It's a tapping sound not a knock from what I've gathered. Like WRENNETH said it sounds tappety.. are valves actually pricey to replace ?

TBH it sounds like the injectors ticking, and it sounds normal to me but that's only from the video...

Hey there, I have a very similar problem with mine. It's going in very soon for the valve clearances and I'm going to see how that affects it. But your video does sound like mine does, how you getting on with it? Have you found the problem?

If you wanted to try and rule out the injectors, while the car is running you could unplug one and listen to see if the tapping noise goes away? Be aware it'll momentarily affect the idle as the ECU compensates for the unplugged injector.

Back