• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 front right spring popping noise

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJhIFbRktls

The video above shows my issue.

On the drivers side spring it makes a loud popping noise when turning at slow speeds and when stationary. As you can see in the video as you turn the wheel the spring pops up and down and makes a loud knocking noise.
I have recently had fitted ( within 500miles ) new Eibach 30mm springs, new Honda top mounts and new Honda track rod ends.

I’ve tried to tighten the top mount and the three strut bolts but they are as tight as they can go. Any idea what else it could be or what I can try or if anybody else has had this issue?

The car drives perfect.

That’s normally a sign of the top mount bearing seizing causing the spring to bind and ‘pop’ as you described.
Not much else you can do other then remove the strut and check fitment and top mount bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, the odd thing is, the top mounts are new, they have only bin in for 500 miles, should they have seized already? Could it be because there is not enough grease been applied? / the wrong grease? I’m quite confident doing jobs my self on the road with jack stands ect but is it quite easy to remove the strut and top mount on the roadside?

Wouldn’t imagine they’ve seized already but you never know.
I’ve also experienced aftermarket springs cause an issue where they don’t seat correctly in the top mount.
It’s not that difficult to remove the strut. But if you’ve had wheel alignment done then it’ll need to be done again after remove and refit.

I’m going to try giving the spring and strut a bit of a wash 1st / clean down with the pressure washer as it looks like there’s a lot of dirt , grit and crap on it and it might but this which is causing the issue. I will give it a go at the weekend then spray with grease / wd40 to see if it makes a difference, I will let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Back