• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Gear Box Top Mount

I struggled to find a 'How To' fit gear box mount poly bush inserts for my EP3 so I took a couple of photos to help anybody else wanting to try this little modification. I fitted Powerflex inserts.

First you will need to remove your Battery and Air Filter Box, I managed without removing my Tegiwa Induction Kit.

Remove the 4 bolts and 2 nuts pictured, they are tricky to get to so be patient. I had to use a ring spanner and a hammer to break bolts 3 and 5 because my 1/2" socket drive would not fit in the gap. All these bolts and nuts are 17 mm.

mount1_zpsudp9hnwl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Insert Powerflex Inserts

20150615_172335_zpsrhhxad6y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mount reassembled and ready to go back onto the car

20150615_173049_zps8sf9xsnt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When refitting the mount remember the gear box will have dropped so put the nuts and bolts back on slack, with a bit of effort they will all go on but don't tighten any up until they are all in.

Based on the 1st picture tighten bolts 3,4 and 5 first. then fasten 1,2 and 6 till nearly tight but notice the nuts are not in there original location (original position of bolts will have left a clean mark on the bracket, can be seen below around nut 1) this is because the box will have dropped.

To line it up some people try jacking the box up but I found if you put a socket on bolt 2 ready to tighten it up then put a spanner on the bolt running through the mount and tighten it, the bracket will swing so the bolts line up with the original positions, at that point tighten bolt 2 and release the spanner and it should stay in position. Then just tighten the rest up.

20150615_173220_zpst0snpps7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then check tighten everything and box it all up.... Job done.

This all worked for me but feel free to add other advice and tips...... Happy modding

Last edited by a moderator:
Felt a bit better, but I already had engine mounts done which was a massive improvement so can't really say how much better it would be as a first mount upgrade.

No I didn't support the box, it's bolted to the engine so only moved about 8mm, mind as above my engine mounts where already powerflex so standard mounts may cause it to move more. If needed there is plenty of room for a trolly jack under the box.

Glad to be of help, forgot to mention..... do not be tempted to trim the inserts, Powerflex have made them slightly to big for a reason. The pressure of the insert flanges against the bracket gives the mount its strength, if you trim them then no pressure to strengthen the mount.

Guys I have a question, what would I be expecting to pay on labour roughly to replace the gearbox mount? Under inspection from a local mechanic, it seems to have a crack in it as he checked it while underneath the car.. is it as simple as the powerflex inserts?

Guys I have a question, what would I be expecting to pay on labour roughly to replace the gearbox mount? Under inspection from a local mechanic, it seems to have a crack in it as he checked it while underneath the car.. is it as simple as the powerflex inserts?

Didn't the local mechanic you spoke to give you a price?

Slightly confused after reading another post on here regarding gearbox mount help... my mechanic mentioned that the radiator would need moving to get to the gearbox mount but in the link below it seems that the mount is an engine mount, not a gearbox one. Could someone clarify how many engine and gearbox mounts there are and where each are located.

Apologies for any silly questions, noob here, all input is appreciated!

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?85963-gearbox-mount-help

Hi, I did mine in about 1 hours following the guide......

pity you live so far away :(

crowds

Hi Crowds, where did you buy the replacement gearbox mount from? Mine under inspection is cracked I am told, have heard loud clunks/bangs on hard acceleration so it didn't come as a surprise.
My mechanic had a look from underneath and said would have to take radiator out, is this how you also did yours? Any advice welcome.

You need a new mechanic im afraid.
Seems a good way to spin a job out and make a few ££

There's no way the radiator needs to be removed for a gearbox mount.
Even if it is the front engine mount then the radiator can stay put, but the subframe may need dropping slightly

Cheers, I had a feeling it was too steep especially after seeing the powerflex inserts are pretty straight forward.. Could somebody highlight on the diagram below where the gearbox mount and front engine mount is shown please? 7 is the front engine mount I believe what about the box mount? All this help is appreciated, top guys!

B__4701.jpg

Back