• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Intermittent Gear Problem

Hi all,
I am posting on behalf of my father who has discovered an intermittent fault with the gearbox on his EP3. This fault seems to cause the gears to be hard to enter (mostly all gears) but especially 4th and the reverse gear. This problem started to happen when accelerating into VTEC and trying to change gear. This has now escalated and now happens when driving normally around streets. There is a crunching noise which very rarely happens but is still there. If anyone could help us with this situation that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Rhys

I have heard of problems like this before with the EP3 but can't remember what the resolution was, maybe Loxy can shed some light on this. Either way I hope you manage to fix the issue.

What's the mileage?

It is normally a classic sign that the clutch is on its way out. It won't be slipping, but it's not disengaging properly now it is tired which means you get crunching through the gears. Just like you said, it starts at high revs and gets progressively worse.

Typical clutch symptoms man. Get it done before it causes any more issues. Mileage is high for an OEM one, but they have been known to go up to that mark. Let us know how it goes bud.

Cheers for all the help guys much appreciated, hoping to order new clutch tomorrow and see how it goes, will let you all know when it's changed

What is common mileage to get clutch replaced?

I have exactly the same issue, and I was hoping it is the clutch instead gearbox.

It happens when I take it into vtec. Once it crunched at 7000rpm, it really puts me off and I prefer I stay out of vtec till it's resolved as it sounds like it's gonna explode like bag of spanners rattling, if I haven't already damaged the flywheel.

For replacements, apart from OEM does any recommend any other clutches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is common mileage to get clutch replaced?

I have exactly the same issue, and I was hoping it is the clutch instead gearbox.

It happens when I take it into vtec. Once it crunched at 7000rpm, it really puts me off and I prefer I stay out of vtec till it's resolved as it sounds like it's gonna explode like bag of spanners rattling, if I haven't already damaged the flywheel.

For replacements, apart from OEM does any recommend any other clutches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was the clutch on my dads mate, exact same symptoms, I would recommend that you just have a look at the clutch yourself, we got about 105,000 out the oem clutch, let me know if you want a link to a repair guide

+1 to clutch, you may also notice that you get a little jolt if you start it up when in first gear with clutch in. As loxy said, a sign that it is not disengaging. Happened on my wife's at 120000 ish miles. New oem clutch from honda for £420 and as good as new afterwards.

Back