• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Metallic rattle noise at 2k rpm when under hard load

Hey all, basically, I am experiancing a rattle type of noise, I have removed iVtec cover, driveshaft heatshield, exhaust cat heatshields and it has made no differance. Exhaust mani heatshield seems to be perfectly tight. It happens when under load. Any ideas? I have listening to chain tensioner noises on video's and it isnt that type of noise. Sounds like its gearbox area. Anybody else got this and have you solved it?

Cheers

I had a split front mount which was causing a noise similar to what you describe, seeing as you have eliminated the usual suspects this would be the next most likely cause.

Really? how would you describe it? It rattles really bad at very low rpm when you are in a high gear and applying load?

I found it most noticable when pulling away or coming to a stop. The noise was definitley a metallic rattle, it actually allowed a bit of movement in the exhaust as the b pipe was damaged and was replaced at the same time.

Mine is a constant rattling grinding type noise at 2k rpm and slightly below that, when in a high gear. Sounds awful

I have a similar one now at 4k though.. ive already had the driveshaft heatshield off to cure the previous grinding noise now another has popped up... i had the front engine mount replaced a few months back

Sounds just like a noise I'm getting, and in the same rpm range. Have you resolved it yet? If not I'll let you know once I find out what it is. Engine mount does sound likely.

i have this too on my 05 plate

in any gear if i let it drop under 2k and then accelerate it does this tinny type of rattle but ti goes once im past 2k rpm
does it when i pull away aswell.

it sounds like its coming from the front passenger side of the engine bay and i am starting to suspect the springs on the cluth plate.

Jack the car up and check your heat shields. They can come loose and cause the rattling sound you are describing. I have it on my Teg, but the Dc exhaust is so loud it usually covers up the noise:lol:

Well removed all heat shields and isn't fuel related as its from the gearbox side, clutch is needing replaced as its just clicked 100,000 miles so once fitted will let slim know if it has cured.

Seems gear related as its noisy only on 2nd and 3rd or on deceleration also. If it were "pinking" it would be happening alot more frequent?

Pinking tends to occur around 2k rpm under acceleration. But I've never experienced it on deceleration so maybe not

i am starting to suspect the springs on the cluth plate.

i was right !!

changed the clutch and its gone and i found this

P6090083.jpg

and the springs had become very loose too

also i now have a perfect gearchange again :lol:

Back