• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Metallic rattle noise at 2k rpm when under hard load

Excellent news. Thanks for reporting back.

I take it the clutch release bearing is shot? [That what the screwdriver is pointing to?]

my pleasure as these thing rarely get updated.

no what your looking at there is the loose centre to the clutch plate that sits on the gearbox mainshaft, this gave me clutch judder when riding the clutch/hill starts

Sound. Thank you.

I have a mild rattle when pushing on at WOT. I've been thinking it was the exhaust blowing but cannot find any evidence. However, I have done 112,000 miles on the original clutch... :S

;)

Mine had done 101300 on its original clutch but no idea if what would produce clutch rattle as it would be under full load but who knows ?

Update.

I had my clutch changed today. The bell-housing and release bearing were full of plate dust so cleaned out.

The clutch plate centre was that lovely blue-gold colour of heated metal. I can only assume that dust had built up over time and the release bearing was not moving properly. However, it is having an autopsy carried out this weekend by my Dad.

Result? The horrible rattle upon accelerating has gone. I think I can hear a slight rumble of it but it may be due to extra noise being carried into the cabin due to new engine mounts. The clutch pedal has no weight to it compared to what it was and shifts are clean again. The car seems to be flying along but this could be the 'just washed the car' effect.

I'll get photographs sorted soon.

Nice one another ep3 clutch sorted :lol:
Let's hope this post helps others in the future too ;)

Although annoyingly I'm getting a judder again on holding the car on the clutch at traffic lights :/
Will check this weekend nothings lose :eek:

I have this also, slight grinding noise when pulling off in say 2nd or 3rd gear at a slow speed. Is this def clutch then? I read it could be input shaft bearing, i hope its clutch as i can just swap that as its on 85k so probably due one! Ive changed gearbox oil today and its slightly better but still noticable.

James

I changed my clutch and the noise at 2krpm has gone much smoother now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem, car is going to the garage tomorrow for a deep look into the noise.

Will post later what it was the problem.

Back