• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 rear brakes?

Hi everyone.
Might be a stupid question!
But my n/s rear brake seems to be clinging on,but only when i,ve some one in back etc?
The handbrake seems to be working ok..
Any ideas?.or just a seized calliper .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The calipers are prone to this. How old is the car? This happened to my friend once. When ordering a replacement, he had to verify the brand as I believe there were 2 different brands - one of which was Nissin. Not sure about the other brand.

carpartsforless.co.uk / eurocarparts will take your old one back to save you some money.

Thanks for the reply..
2004 ep3.
I,ll have to have a look see what type they are then.
Thanks for the link & help.

yeah, my mates went on his 2005 ep3. There may be a thread on here about rear caliper brands. I know that he had to make sure he got the correct brand (I think there is ever such a slight difference between the two...) they should have the logo at the top on the outside...

Ok then,will have to have a look.
Did,nt think it would be a case of just trying to un-seize it.(copperslip)etc. ;)
Cheers again will have a look,& try get it sorted..
Thanks

Cheers for all the info.
Had a look & there the nissin type...
Tryed freeing them off,but no good.
The handbrake clings on,free that off then the brakes cling on.
Checked my o/s/r & thats clinging on to..
Thought it felt less nippy than it should be...
Might just invest in new rear calipers,new pads..

Thanks for the info etc

i had this problem few weeks ago, same car, i ended up investing in new disks and pads, my problem was a caliper piston, garage cleaned it up and booked it in for a replacement. next week.

Cheers for all advice guys..
Update now,i,ve fitted new callipers,new pads as the discs are good.=no more clinging on.
Handbrake still seems rubbish but will let rear pads bed in first..

Update for anyone interested.
My n/s h/brake was over stretched,so risked buying another from a breakers.
Seems a bit better now,
So all done,see if it holds enough at mot time.
Cheers again for all help/info.

Cheers for all advice guys..
Update now,i,ve fitted new callipers,new pads as the discs are good.=no more clinging on.
Handbrake still seems rubbish but will let rear pads bed in first..

Apologies for hijacking post but I have just notice this exact problem with my ep3.
After trying to free it up, the pins are fine but the piston won't wind back in even after cracking bleed nipple so confident that it is the caliper.

I've ordered a pair from a breakers as I intend to temporarily replace it and then refurb mine.
When you took the caliper off, did you take a look to see what was seized by any chance?
As this seems to be quite common on EP3s, just wondering if it is the piston that seizes or the internal hand brake mechanism.

cheers

Hi,& no probs,,

I did have a look at this..on mine the calliper would move,but with brake fluid pressure Would not let off pressure(if u know what i mean?).
So i,m thinkng more that on all our ep3,s its the actually the calliper pistons seizing ..
& sure theres old threads from b 4 of guys saying the same..
now with the different callipers on mine,its releasing the h/brake better.just still seems to be struggling to hold tight?.
So will tighten h/brake little more ,just to see if that holds better..but no more seizing !,
Hope this helps..

Cheers

Ok, thanks for the info!
I'm hoping it's the piston so that I can refurb mine, then replace and refurb the one's I've ordered to keep as spares. My wife's ep3 still has original calipers on the rear and it's on 140000+ now so assume they will need done soon.
Thanks again!

No probs,glad the info was of use to you..
& yes she,s doing well with the mileage.
There great engines,how high revving,but seem still up for the mileage as well.
Hope you get sorted anyway, i,m thinking it,ll be the piston..
Cheers

Back