• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 steering rack doesn't self centre

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 ep3 with approx 100,000 miles on it. I'd like to do autosolos in it but when I did my first one a couple of months ago I found it really difficult to get it round tight turns when going lock to lock. Perhaps I need to practise a bit more but I think the main reason is because the steering does not self centre very well at all. I've noticed other people just let the wheel whip back through their hands but I have to drag it back to centre as it is so slow to return. Is this normal for EP3s? And/or is it something they develop over time? I have had the rack greased recently but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. I'm thinking about exchanging the rack but I'm not sure if this will make a big difference and be worth the money. It's safe to say I'm relatively clueless about cars but trying to learn so please bear with me! Would really appreciate any advice on this or to find out if others have had similar problems.

Lorna

Sounds like you could possibly need a decent 2nd hand rack to be installed and most importantly a new steering rack slider at the same time.

Mine self centres as you've described. Have you had the geometry checked/adjusted?

Ep3's are known for this, castor increase bushes and a decent geometry set up should help. Is the rack knocking?

The electric steering on an EP3 when working perfectly isn’t any good. I’d learn to deal with it.
DC5 rack upgrade (it’s hydraulic) can be done and from what I’ve heard gives better steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ricki, this is what I've been thinking but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ep3's are known for this, castor increase bushes and a decent geometry set up should help. Is the rack knocking?

Thanks Marc. I've had the geometry set up done after hitting a massive pothole just after New Year so that's all good. Rack isn't knocking no, just feels a bit funny at centre and doesn't self centre well at all. Having the rack greased seemed to make no difference.

Mine self centres as you've described. Have you had the geometry checked/adjusted?

As in it's good or bad the same as mine? I have had the geometry checked and adjusted and that's all "in the green" on the printout sheet so I'm guessing that's not an issue. Thanks.

The electric steering on an EP3 when working perfectly isn’t any good. I’d learn to deal with it.
DC5 rack upgrade (it’s hydraulic) can be done and from what I’ve heard gives better steering.

Thank you Lewis. This is what I'm concerned about. If I replace the rack will it actually make enough difference to make it worth it. I'd like to do autosolos with the car but the steering is not ideal for it as it is. On the other hand I also want to track day it and it seems great for this so if I can make it work for both I will rather than replace it! I will look into the DC5 steering rack if I decide to replace it, although it sounds a bit too expensive for what I want to spend.

As in it's good or bad the same as mine? I have had the geometry checked and adjusted and that's all "in the green" on the printout sheet so I'm guessing that's not an issue. Thanks.
As in my steering returns fully to the centre if I let go of the wheel. :)

I’d say mine only self centres to between 11 and 2 o’clock. But my setup is completely different to standard. From memory it wasn’t much different when standard.

I’d say mine only self centres to between 11 and 2 o’clock. But my setup is completely different to standard. From memory it wasn’t much different when standard.

OK thanks. Mine is between about 8 and 5 :)

Mine self centres between about 3 - 9 o clock, so not great, and just this week mine now when cold does make a clunky noise when turning stationary left to right? I have had the slider replaced about three months ago so I’m a bit gutted because if these symptoms were apparent at that time I would of just bought a reconditioned rack and put that in instead of the just the slider. Does anyone know where would be best to source a recon rack? I’ve seen one on eBay and it says they use genuine parts? This is the link below? Shall I trust it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...Type-R&hash=item3abd2a0eb0:g:1JUAAOSwErVUL6u5

Mine self centres between about 3 - 9 o clock, so not great, and just this week mine now when cold does make a clunky noise when turning stationary left to right? I have had the slider replaced about three months ago so I’m a bit gutted because if these symptoms were apparent at that time I would of just bought a reconditioned rack and put that in instead of the just the slider. Does anyone know where would be best to source a recon rack? I’ve seen one on eBay and it says they use genuine parts? This is the link below? Shall I trust it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...Type-R&hash=item3abd2a0eb0:g:1JUAAOSwErVUL6u5

A mechanic who works at my garage and also has an ep3 exchanged his rack for a reconditioned one and waiting for him to find the name of the company so I'll let you know what he says.

A mechanic who works at my garage and also has an ep3 exchanged his rack for a reconditioned one and waiting for him to find the name of the company so I'll let you know what he says.

Cheers for this, hear from you soon,

Cheers for this, however after closer investigation today, I have realised it’s the spring that is making the knocking / popping noise, so the rack will be fine for a while. I will keep this company in mind for the future.

Cheers

Back