• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 - Struggling to read the dipstick

Yea that and don't rag it when it's cold. I have an FN2 as these have a low oil level warning and oil level sensor failure warning and I still don't chance it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said no warning light for low oil. If the oil light comes on it's too late.

I usually check mine every full tank of fuel I get through so roughly 200 mile

If you do this from cold you will get a reading lower than the actual amount. Cold oil is thicker and starting the engine will lift the oil to the top end and it won't return to the sump in any quick fashion.

For me it's either cold engine as long as the engine was running for at least 10 mins before it cooled. Or 5 mins after turning off a warm engine.

So let the oil get up to temperature and then let engine cool down for 5-10 minutes is that the best way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil level will rise slightly with a hot engine. Check at operating temperature with the engine standing 5-10 mins after running.
Manufactures generally state that you could burn up to 1 litre of oil per 1000km (620 miles).
I've just been to Germany and back, 9 laps hammering around the Nordschleife, overall over 1000 miles and used very little oil, if any.

Oil level will rise slightly with a hot engine. Check at operating temperature with the engine standing 5-10 mins after running.
Manufactures generally state that you could burn up to 1 litre of oil per 1000km (620 miles).
I've just been to Germany and back, 9 laps hammering around the Nordschleife, overall over 1000 miles and used very little oil, if any.

If my oil level is between min and max at operating temperature how much will I need to top up to get it to max line.. Shall I put a full litre in or use half of the bottle first???

From the minimum to the maximum levels on the dipstick it is about 1l so i would say you need to put 500ml of oil in to get the level to the max line on the dipstick.

As Stu said. Generally it's a litre between the min and max mark. It does varies between vehicles. Add half a litre and check after 5 mins.

I always work in smaller amounts although this is correct about 1 litres between min and max

Back