• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 stuttering and surging.

The irony is thought the standard set up is going to cost me a fair bit second hand.

Must get rid of this though pointless having a daily drive that can't be driven in the wet!

i have this problem aswell, ive been adviced it could be number things, coilpack, leads,o2 sensor,a big induction kit, and another chap told me to clean the inlet out with carb cleaner, he had it with his ep3 and that seemed to have sorted it for him. i have not yet seen to mine as ive been to busy, but plan to soon. ill let you know know what option works for me.cheers

nice thread, got a similar thing with my car too, like if i ease off accelerator and let it rol down the revs when it gets just under 2krpms it seems to kangaroo a bit, currently trying some engine cleaner through it 1st to see if that helps at all, i did have a bit of an off last year and possible i might of damaged something else along the way. I was thinking of putting my original filter in just incase it was that though, currently got an AEM V2 in mine, doesnt suck in water but just mainly got it for the vtec sound :D

I also noticed its much much worse when engine is cold. I have bought a standard airbox with a K an N filter. I have done the hondata mod on the box and will be fitting this plus a full service very soon.

Just to clarify with this, it wasn't the filter/induction kit our car always seems to run poorly in bad weather even with OEM air box. No idea what it can be. Some days it's lovely to drive others it's a nightmare.

I used to get a bit of surging with the ep3 basicaly on part throttle the car would feel like it was hesitating and then if I applied more gas it would rush away. Changed the clutch. Fubar. no surging.

I used to get a bit of surging with the ep3 basicaly on part throttle the car would feel like it was hesitating and then if I applied more gas it would rush away. Changed the clutch. Fubar. no surging.

Did it sounds like a missfire though?

No but i am having issues with mine atm aswell. Bought a new o² sensor today to see if that helps. Hope to god it isnt the chain.

Small update

Check you throttle cable tension.

Ours was very slack and this is my theory behind the hesitation.

The car still coughs (probably due to mods) most EP3's do this. What makes it noticeable is the throttle tension. When slack and at light throttle this "cough" causes a slight rock in the engine which is a enough to shut the butterfly in the throttle body which momentarily cuts fuel and makes it hesitate.

Now when the throttle cable is tensioned this cough does not allow the throttle to shut and cause the stutter. Thus making it very hard to now notice. It's a massive improvement 90% I would say and does not bother me at all now. Once fully up to temp car is beautiful and actually feels slightly faster wot so maybe we where never at 100% throttle position with the slack cable.

Not sure why Honda make them set so slack? Apparently it's common... One theory is to prevent wot when running in....

Anyway my advice if you have this problem adjust your throttle cable before spending any money!!!

Back