• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Temp Gauge Question

Hi All,

Just had my new Rad installed on my 03 CTR this morning... I have always been a bit 'scared' of cooling systems after previous bad experiences with a couple of MK2 Golfs.

Anyway, rad installed. Got home after a 10 minute run and let the car idle to ensure the fan came on.... the temp gauge slowly went up to three quarters!!! the fan never came on which got me very worried... The temp gauge has never been this high, EVER. So, naturally, I killed the ignition.... This won't have damaged the engine at all would it??? I guess it was still safe as I didn't let the needle go into the red...

So, I ran it back to my friend and let it idle again.... lo and behold, the gauge remained normal and the fan wouldn't come on. We noticed the filler bottle was empty (it was full when the car was idling on my drive...) We let it idle and the gauge remained normal, the fan still hasn't come on....

The rad has obviosuly drawn in more water and maybe this is the reason why the water got hotter than usual when the car was on my drive?

Not sure what I can do other than to just keep an eye on fluid and temp levels, i'm scared my car may overheat and cause loads of damage - what can I do to prevent this (other than not drive it, thank you....) :)

I had some problems lastweek with my fan not kicking in. check there isn't anything jammed in the fan or spin it see if spins freely and check the fuses in the engine. mine runs at 80degree when driving and fan kicks in at 93degrees.

Am sure it won't have caused any damage if the EML hasn't came on even then it wouldn't have inless you keep letting it do it. also if you just got a new radiator keep an eye on fluids in there as when putting fluids in it can have a lot of air pockets till you run it for a little bit then top it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back