• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Type-R Induction Advice

First of all, as things stand, this is my engine bay in my 30th Anniversary;

P1000453.jpg

Spot something missing? :confused:

Yep, the airbox!

Since buying the car with an AEM cold air induction kit already fitted, one thing that's been on my mind is have I got the right thing on there for the car!? Since being on this forum, i've got the impression this kit which is the CAI version and seems to be in the front bumper somehow isn't quite as good as I assumed it was and I'm wondering what other options there are available........... not tooo fussed about the cost as it's only an induction kit compared to somethings, but what are people's suggestions? Maybe this is ok afterall? Not had any trouble so far and it's been in for a service under me at Honda and they never mentioned it!

A well worn subject yes, but advise much appreciated :smt023

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one performance is good but with hydrolocking if water gets in to it on the back of my mind i wish i went for the tegiwa m. if you have the money as stoo said Gruppe m. that would be my choices.

Gruppe M i've heard of but not sure on all the facts, whats an ARC?

Just been reading this in the pinned AEM guide;

It growls from about 4k to 6k revs then becomes very loud from the VTEC cross over point to the rev limit. It does sound like its rattling when it hits 6k revs but this is completely normal. It will hiss when you turn the engine off

That is all true for mine and does sound good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, the GruppeM being made in Japan is expensive for an intake given the exchange rate to the Yen. The Tegiwa is cheaper, and made to a budget compared to the GruppeM, but as howie says, both perform around the same.

GruppeM second hand bargains do come up, but they don't normally hang around for long. Expect to pay not far off the price of a new Tegiwa kit for a used GruppeM.

If you want a GruppeM, Injection Imports should be able to get one from Japan for you.

I had both the Gruppe M and the AEM CAI. The Gruppe M is a fantastic bit of kit, but is costly. It looks great under the bonnet and you get the cool little scoop above the bonnet. It sounds superb when you give it the beans, and when on tickover aswell. The AEM is great for the money, the performance is high and it has a savage/raw sound to it that becomes addictive. If you want to get shot of the AEM and fill the hole under the bonnet, and you have the cash, get the Gruppe M. Personally I never had an issue with the AEM and as long as you avoid driving through larger puddles, the hydro lock problem shouldn't happen. But I have to say, the Gruppe M is a bit special ;)

I had both the Gruppe M and the AEM CAI. The Gruppe M is a fantastic bit of kit, but is costly. It looks great under the bonnet and you get the cool little scoop above the bonnet. It sounds superb when you give it the beans, and when on tickover aswell. The AEM is great for the money, the performance is high and it has a savage/raw sound to it that becomes addictive. If you want to get shot of the AEM and fill the hole under the bonnet, and you have the cash, get the Gruppe M. Personally I never had an issue with the AEM and as long as you avoid driving through larger puddles, the hydro lock problem shouldn't happen. But I have to say, the Gruppe M is a bit special ;)

Cheers for the info, very interesting read when you've had both types :smt023

Definatly sounds like the Gruppe M is the way forward in the long term I think. I see on xposed online the Gruppe M is $832.24, so looking at around £520 ish in real money then *lol* which is a lot BUT real carbon, not genuine imitation like most things and +10 bhp ISH, isn't gonna be cheap is it!

The little scoop above the bonnet though, can't rain and crap get down into that!? :confused:

I had a Gruppe M on my EP3 first and swapped it for the Injen CAI. The Injen was better especially midrange.

Back