• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 tyre advice needed

I had some horrible Falken FK452s on the front of FN2 before the Ring and Spa last year, RE050As on the back (FN2 OEM tyre).

I went to TDi for fitting of the Clockwise baffled sump and a other few bits before the trip and got the wheels rotated while they were off just to see what the difference was. Potenzas were much better when on the front, felt very grippy, turn in was much better and the back would pretty much slide out on command with the Falkens on the rear.

Potenzas are a good tyre is the point to that ramble.

Anyhow fast forward a few days and I get the rears replaced with some F1 Asymmetric 2s. Now I had to try very hard indeed to get the back end out. The back end seemed a lot more solid, but that was maybe due to the load index of the F1s being 92 as opposed to the 88 of the Falkens.

Payday comes, a couple of days or so before the Ring and I get the fronts changed from Potenzas to the same spec F1s I already had on the rears. The difference with the F1s was comparable to how it had felt moving the Potenzas to the front. Again stiffer sidewalls may have contributed to the turn in feel, but the difference in grip was unreal, particularly in the wet (it always seems to be raining the day I get tyres fitted. :roll: )

The Falkens had 6mm tread on them and I sold them on. Met the guy on the way down to the hotel in Fleet in fact. Changed them because the lacked grip, seriously lacked grip and that's why I changed them first, leaving the Bridgestones on.

The Bridgestones had 3 and bit mm on them, 4mm being the legal limit in Germany and so the main reason for changing them in the first place. I liked them but fancied a change. I didn't bank on there being such a big difference but I was swayed by reviews and group tests. I won't ever go back to RE050As now I've seen the difference.

TL;DR went from Pots to F1s, difference was massive.

Don't worry Dan, you've made the right choice. ;)

Loxy I'm going F1 asym 2 but seeing different load ratings, Between 89-92, would there be much difference between them, the 92's are advertised as xl's. I'm guessing stiffer sidewalls?

Loxy I'm going F1 asym 2 but seeing different load ratings, Between 89-92, would there be much difference between them, the 92's are advertised as xl's. I'm guessing stiffer sidewalls?

Yep stiffer sidewalls.

I got the 92s because 88s were very hard to get hold of and about £15 a corner dearer at the time.

Nothing wrong with the 92s mind you.

Yep stiffer sidewalls.

I got the 92s because 88s were very hard to get hold of and about £15 a corner dearer at the time.

Nothing wrong with the 92s mind you.

Would you go 92 again then or 88's if money wasn't a consideration

I'd have to try them back to back, the previous tyres were Bridgestones and Falkens so different again and you can't compare them like for like.

Yeah I would go 88's on the EP3. I had them on mine and they were in a different league to the pots! Have the 92's on my FN2 now mind.

So, I got my eagle F1's today. Was a bit damp and a little icy I'm places but the car feels a lot more planted than it did on my bald p-zeros!

I ordered some f1's today, got 91's, was a better deal. Only problem is got to wait a couple months before I can do the rears, so will have 215 f1's up front and shitty 205 near bald re040's on the back. Will have to take it easy haha

Any comments on tyre pressures? Using 32 upfront and 30 on the rears with 215/45/r17 goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2's load rating 91

Back