• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 (uk) - intake & exhaust upgrade - whats your opinion

So I've a standard EP3 type r (pre-facelift) and i'm looking to do some upgrades to get a little extra power and make it sound better :lol:

So i want to put in the gruppeM airbox (will probably end up going with Tegiwa version of it) and a new exhaust. ECU will be re-flashed after all work is done.
I want to keep the cat because of the strict NCT rules here (Irish version of MOT)

Exhaust options:
Option1:
DC5 mainifold & cat (€230)
custom build 2.5 inch cat back exhaust & backbox (€550) (63.5mm)
- longlife 304 stainless steel is what the guys use and they get good reviews for the work they do

Option2:
DC5 mainifold & cat (€230)
Skunk2 megapower r 70mm cat back (€670)

Option3:
Custom made Magnaflow manifold 4-2-1 (not sure price yet)
Magnaflow sports cat (€300) - (has potential to be removable so I could have decat pipe and put in a cat when it comes to testing)
Magnaflow cat back exhaust & backbox (€390)

what do you think?

Go for a Mugen airbox if you can, same power and far less fitment issues. Plus it won't sound like a Nova with a K&N filter on it. :)

Go for option two. I have the skunk 2 mega power r exhaust with the OEM cat and it sounds great. Got to admit it is loud compared to other exhausts but each to there own, I like it. However i only use my civic to go to work two days the other three days I use my daily vow polo ;)

Go for a Mugen airbox if you can, same power and far less fitment issues. Plus it won't sound like a Nova with a K&N filter on it. :)

where does the mugen airbox pull the air from? I have the Mugen grill on the car. will it pull air from that vent or does it just breath air from the engine bay?
and performance wise is it better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking going down this route for my EP3 too.

Currently on Tegiwa cat back, with Ingen Intake. But would like to keep it with a CAT for a remap.

where does the mugen airbox pull the air from? I have the Mugen grill on the car. will it pull air from that vent or does it just breath air from the engine bay?
and performance wise is it better?

It will pull it from the hole in the grille. It's the ideal combination although you can run it with the standard grille. On my DC5 my Mugen airbox made about 10 more bhp than the Gruppe M, but it was a different mapper so that could have been part of it. What wins it for me is flawless fitting and a nice grown up howl rather than in your face bark every time you want to make progress.

When you say "ECU will be re-flashed" - are you getting a K100/KPro and putting it on a dyno?

Have you considered other upgrades first? The EP3 benefits far far more from better brakes, suspension and tyres than it does a few horsepower. Or even an LSD/final drive would yield more "real world speed".

Back