• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3, whining noise on start up

Hi I think this may be a clutch or gear box issue.

Basically, when I start the car I usually get the Type R sneeze (minor grinding noise) depending on whether its cold or not.

Then there is a high pitched whining noise, which disappears if I dip the clutch, reappears when I bring the clutch back up.

If I dip the clutch a few times in a row the noise usually goes away altogether.

My concern is that it may be a indication that the clutch or gearbox are on their way out - any opinions on this?

thanks

Ollie

Hi I think this may be a clutch or gear box issue.

Basically, when I start the car I usually get the Type R sneeze (minor grinding noise) depending on whether its cold or not.

Then there is a high pitched whining noise, which disappears if I dip the clutch, reappears when I bring the clutch back up.

If I dip the clutch a few times in a row the noise usually goes away altogether.

My concern is that it may be a indication that the clutch or gearbox are on their way out - any opinions on this?

thanks

Ollie

The Type R sneeze is the starter motor done an extra turn

The dip the clutch sounds like clutch release bearing on its way

The dip the clutch sounds like clutch release bearing on its way

Thanks for the reply, does this mean a new clutch do you think or is a repair possible?

The car is approaching 120k and I think still on original clutch, history is incomplete, but very little missing and no mention of a clutch replacement.

To change it is basically the same as you would have to do if you were changing the clutch. Might as well do it while you're there.

How does the clutch pedal feel? If it's heavy with a low biting point you'll benefit from a new one anyway.

To change it is basically the same as you would have to do if you were changing the clutch. Might as well do it while you're there.

How does the clutch pedal feel? If it's heavy with a low biting point you'll benefit from a new one anyway.

Ok, thanks for confirming, I figured that would be the case. Is it an expensive job with the type r?

The clutch is quite heavy, but the bite is still pretty high, I will probably just drive it till it gets really bad...I am just about able to pull away in third though, which I think I am right in thinking is a bad sign?!

Thanks for the reply, does this mean a new clutch do you think or is a repair possible?

The car is approaching 120k and I think still on original clutch, history is incomplete, but very little missing and no mention of a clutch replacement.

That's quite good on original clutch for that mileage
Yeah your going to need a new clutch shouldn't be more that £300 to £350 everything included

I am just about able to pull away in third though, which I think I am right in thinking is a bad sign?!

Why on earth would you even try such a thing?! It'll absolutely kill your clutch and labour the engine too.

Back