• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Excessive exhaust steam on start up. EP3

Hi guys,
Apologies for not being a very frequent poster, just dont have the time these days.

Anyway, im starting to get pretty concerned with my ep3,
During the first start up of the day after its been sitting overnight,
There seems to be loads of steam coming from the exhaust.
I know its steam because i put my hand by the exhaust tip and hand gets wet.
But comparing it my mates ep3 his had hardly any compared to mine during a test i did side by side.

It does dissipate significantly after engine has warmed up and i know its starting to get colder in the mornings now but it has been doing it even when its around 13 degrees outside. Also sometimes, not all the time i can smell that really strong petrol smell. Not sure if the engine is running very rich or something?

The steam is completely white, but quite thick, and dissipates about a foot above the spoiler.
I have looked into it, and dont think its the head gasket because i think i'd know about it, car runs fine and no warning lights.

Just perplexed/worried as to why it is doing this!
I'll try and get a video uploaded t'moro for you guys
Any info appreciated.

Mine does that, you can see it chucking it out through the rear window. Has your pal's car been mapped? They tend to run rich on the OEM map.

As said, the OEM map runs rich for safety reasons when in VTec. The steam shouldn't be too much of a worry as long as it doesn't change colour to a bluey look. Keep an eye on it for now and just watch it doesn't get any worse, like you say the cold mornings will show it up more, but it would only concern me if it became hard to start up. Let us know if anything progresses and I'm sure we can help you in some way ;)

Back