• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Extra security

Morning All

Is anyone planning on getting extra security in the form of a Disclock, Stoplock etc?

I heard that the Disclock marks the steering wheel badly - Yeah I know, rather a marked steering wheel than a stolen car etc....

And no one chime in with 'if they want the car they will have it etc' - An extra layer will put off the opportunist and make me feel slightly better leaving it in public car parks!

Interested to hear if any Fk2 boys have experience with any products.

Cheers

I thought opportunist robbery was pretty much a thing of the past with modern car tech. It tends to be gun/knife point home robbery for keys these days, in which case you can call your disclock a paperweight.

Invest in home security IMO, anti bump locks etc.

Home security and maybe a post on your drive or garage entrance.

Only the disclok & cctv for me, but I had that before the FK2.
I did purchase the disclok steering wheel cover, I drape a towel over the wheel and use the wheel cover to hold it in place then the disclok can't mark the steering wheel,
Over 2 years in and not one mark.

As said though if they want it they'll get it

I'd imagine there'd be a system similar to Ghost available for the newer TypeR?

A decent alarm and beefed up home security. If they want it, they will get it. It's only a car. The last thing you want is someone in your home.

They don't even need to come in to your home with keyless entry. They stand at the front door with a device that locates and boosts the signal from the key, then another one by the car to relay said signal to it. They can go as far as they want when the car's fired up, the car won't turn itself off without the key as some people believe.

Thought about a cat5 tracker but couldn't see the justification in spending >£1k for a tenner off insurance.

Had a dislok for my ep3 but after a short period dispensed with that also...now hanging on bike rack in garage.

Too much tech now. Doesn't take long to crack the latest security.

As been said, keeping them out your house and away from your family is more important.

Can't imagine how it would feel to have your car stolen though.

They don't even need to come in to your home with keyless entry. They stand at the front door with a device that locates and boosts the signal from the key, then another one by the car to relay said signal to it. They can go as far as they want when the car's fired up, the car won't turn itself off without the key as some people believe.

I have ordered one of those faraday pockets off t'nternet as well picking up a stoplock elite yesterday which doesn't mark the wheel....just need to not lose the f'in key now...

Do you have anti bump locks on your house doors? You'd be shocked how easy a standard yale style locks are to pick or bump open. Less than a second to bump one, less than a minute to pick. You can even crush them with mole grips and they default to open.

You can buy a set of bump keys from amazon for less than a £10er.....

Those crook locks aren't that secure, they just cut the steering wheel give it a bend and it slides off

As gutting as it would be, it wouldn't be anywhere near the grief suffered from someone breaking into your home.

Usually the scumbags do both.

A close mate had his house broken into at night, they stole all the electronics and valuables, stole his car keys, loaded the loot into his car, and drove off. Whilst him and his wife slept upstairs :eek: true story
Never saw any of it ever again :noseblow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have anti bump locks on your house doors? You'd be shocked how easy a standard yale style locks are to pick or bump open. Less than a second to bump one, less than a minute to pick. You can even crush them with mole grips and they default to open.

You can buy a set of bump keys from amazon for less than a £10er.....

You can even do it with a small bit of plastic, a square cutout of lemonade bottle is the normal weapon of choice.

Heh, I'll give that a try. Used as a rake I presume? I enjoy lock picking, it's a nice little hobby. It's quite a good little skill to have too, comes in handy once every few months I'd say. Opening cabinets/pedestals at work for people who've lost their key.... or just forgotten it. The odd door here and there. I forgot my house keys going to Saudi so I'll have to jump the garage and pick the back door when I get home on Friday. I always get some funny looks & comments from people, "where'd you learn that?"... etc.

I just tell them I was born in Merseyside :lol:

I left my house keys in my car once when I dropped it off at TGM, luckily my housemate was about that evening otherwise I was looking at £80 I think for a locksmith. Might spend some time learning it myself.

Clifford has a canbus upgrade alarm that's also worth a mention as the stock alarm is pants from a noise point of view. The Clifford works off your current fob, but adds a shock sensor which the factory alarm doesnt have and a louder battery backup siren. You can also add on a proxy sensor too. Every little helps

Also be vigilant if you think someone is following you back to your house to see where the car is parked over night.

I was always a little paranoid of this and have driven past my house a few times waiting for the car behind to turn off.

Best home security is a large dog! I have an American Akita and everyone who knocks the door to deliver stuff always stands back from the door. My dog would more likely lick them to death but the bark is enough to put most people off. Most car thieves these days need your keys, they are opportunists and won't steal anything if it seems difficult

Back